jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Do you like public compliments like whistling?

1. Escobana profile image89
    Escobanaposted 4 years ago

I live in Spain where guys, grandpa's, women and grannies, let beautiful people know, they are hot. Mostly because of the elegant presentation and condifence these people display.

They whistle, applaud, call you hot and delicious or simply stare at you from top to bottom.

Would you appreciate such attention or not? I can tell you honestly I do.

<link snipped - no promotional links>

In my Hub about this way of life, I explain to you why:-)

1. MarleneB profile image94
      MarleneBposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In one of my first spanish classes the teacher explained this custom to us. I thought it was such a sweet act. So, if I was in Spain, then yes. I would love to be whistled at. But, here in America, it tends to have a different connotation. Here in America, I do not like being whistled at. When guys do it here, it has a message that the woman is "cheap".

Escobanaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wauw that IS a big difference! In Holland it wouldn't be cheap but it would be simply uneducated.

I'm very happy to live here but I have to say it was quite a change in culture:-)

2. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

I think it's horrible. Generally, only people from lower socio economic classes do it.

Then I guess you wouldn't like living in Spain:-) I can garantee you though...every social economic class participates in this wonderful kind of appreciation of beauty, in Spain.

3. neeta chauhan profile image61
    neeta chauhanposted 4 years ago

Person like me would never want to live in a place like Spain then.
    If you ask me what i think about public compliments like whistling?
    according to me compliments are supposed to be very private anything which  is
    publicized looses its real charm therefore if i am a citizen of Spain the way
    i would go about giving a compliment to a man whom i don't know from Adam's
    will be walking up to the  handsome man and compliment him right on his face
    this might give a start to a new friendship or just a pleasant memory down my
    lane of memories........

Compliments in Spain can be very public indeed. I know from stories that Brazil is much 'worse' than Spain.

In Brazil it's more agressive but still a cultural way of appreciating beauty. To give a guy a compliment straight forward is a very nice way. The only problem here is that they are not used to women being direct.

I know I did the same thing when I was single and it's obvious how many guys feel uncomfortable when you tell them straight away, you like them.

What does work is, compliment them at the end of the night and then walk away....to give him that pleasant memory you mention.

4. freecampingaussie profile image45
    freecampingaussieposted 4 years ago

Guys used to whistle at girls they thought were attractive as a compliment & that is how I took it & it would make my day as it was harmless! Sadly because of so many uptight females the habit seems to be dying .
    I certainly wont complain if I get whistled at when we go to Spain !

Welcome to Spain I'd say and why not try a holiday in Brazil?

You will love it. Uptight females there are everywhere but in countries like these, the men don't care about their uptight opinion, since they don't mean to harm any of the women they whistle at.

Thanks for dropping by and discuss this topic with us:-)