20 Biblical ways to Communicate in Marriage
20 Biblical Ways To Communicate in Marriage
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,
- True Communication is not what one says but how one demonstrates what they are saying from the heart through action.
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:
- Only focusing on the negative will set the stage for negative words.
- Communication must come from the heart because what a person is really saying will always be expressed through their action.
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;
- Listening is a true art that leads to understanding and that understanding will answer the questions of who, what, where, why ,when, and how.
- Speaking without knowing all of the facts may lead to actions that one cannot take back once those facts are revealed.
- Anger is a poor communicator that can lead to no one listening
- Believing in a person is directly related to how one listens to them.
- Personal and private information should not be shared outside of the home with just anyone.
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
- It is amazing that couples will communicate to complete strangers with kindness while responding to a spouse negatively. Picture an argument in action and suddenly a knock comes at the door…immediately chaos turns to peace in the midst of company like a hot running faucet being turned off. This proves that communication can be peaceful if both parties humble themselves. Remember the eyes of the Lord are in every place beholding the good and the evil and he is always present unlike the stranger that comes knocking at the door.
- Everyone may not come to the table receiving 100% of what they want, but negotiation leaves both parties satisfied as the head of the home makes the final decision.
- Communication is about giving out of love and not about selfishly taking.
2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
- Words create images so do not create an image that cannot be erased.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver. Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold is a wise reprover to a listening ear. Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the soul of his masters. Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of a gift he does not give. With patience a ruler may be persuaded, and a soft tongue will break a bone.
- Communication is about timing and to say the right thing at the wrong time may do more harm than good.
- Saying the right thing with a wrong choice of words may not fit the overall picture of what one is trying to say.
- A spouse can have the tendency to hear wisdom spoken from their significant other and the same thing from someone else and reject their significant other because of unresolved issues.
- Truth must not only be communicated, but followed through if trust is going to be a virtue in the relationship.
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out.
- In communication delivery is just as important as what is being said. The tone and attitude can make or break a conversation.
But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.
- Communication in marriage is no longer about independence but about oneness.
1 John 4:20
If a man say, “I love God,” and hateth his brother, he is a liar. For he that loveth not .... For we cannot love God, whom we have not seen, if we do not love others, whom we have seen.
- Communication in marriage is directly related to how God sees one in relation to him. How couples communicate to each other reveals where their love for God is.
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
- The law of reciprocity is always in force as it relates to communication. How one communicates will receive back the same.
- 7 Ways to Know if you are Ready for Marriage
Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh (Genesis 2:24) A person who is selfish may only consider what is in their best interest. Choices, actions taken, and the motives for those...
- 21 Biblical principles for Marriage
The Bible declares that he that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor of the Lord. Marriage is instituted by God and because of that he invokes his favor and blessing upon it. In Genesis 1:28 we find God blessing the first marriage. The..
More by this Author
Money is neither good or bad but it corresponds with a persons character meaning that the amount of money a person has will only display their character to a greater or lesser degree. If a person has a character problem...
In the book of Genesis chapter one and verse twenty-eight we read...and God blessed them and said be fruitful, multiply, replenish, subdue and have dominion (Paraphrase). The blessing of the Lord is not the tangible...
One of the Hebrew meanings for midnight is chatsoth which means middle of the night and during this special time God brought many fantastic things to pass. He is willing to do the same thing today...