Belief of Angels in all Religions and Cultures
Why are there angels in all Religions & Cultures?
I've always wondered why there are angels woven throughout our entire world religious history. No mater what culture you come from, or what religion you believe in, there are angels present in it's folklore, ritual, or belief system.
Is it the wings? The spiritual help? God's promise? Is belief in angels just part of our culture because it's what we all hope? Or is it something more rooted in our deepest love - fear spiritual selves?
Belief.net is a great place to get some ideas about how each Religion relates to angels, see angels in: BUDDHISM * CATHOLICISM * EASTERN ORTHODOXY* HINDUISM * ISLAM * JUDAISM * MORMONISM* PROTESTANT CHRISTIANITY.
Angels in all Religions of the World
Angels common in all Religions
Angels are common to all religions of the world, and are present in all cultures. Over 70% of people around the world believe in angels, and 50% believe in personal Guardian Angels.
From Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhism, Hinduism, Iranian Zoroastrianism to winged messengers carved into ancient Sumerian carvings, Egyptian tombs, Assyrian reliefs, and Haloed stories of myth and legends, angels are entwined throughout our entire world.
Many people in ancient times believed in angels, and often thought planets and stars were angels. And believe it or not, our most important source of Angelology isn't the Bible; it's a host of Jewish, Christian, and Gnostic texts written between 200 B.C.E. and 200 C.E., which were heavily influenced by Zoroastrian cosmology, and the writings of Enoch.
Animated map shows how religion spread around the world
Zoroaster and Zoroasterism
Belief in Angels - Zoroastrianism
Jewish, Christian, and Islamic faiths all fell under the influence of Persian angelology of the 6th century because during that time, the Jews were in exile in Babylon (Persia) where the prophet Zoroaster (who developed a theology of angels) taught and lived.
Zoroastrianism recognizes good angels, bad angels, and angels who "straddled the moral fence" (genies), as well as Metatron, and Lilith (married to the Angel of Death).
The ancient Babylonian religion Zoroastrianism involved many angels including;
- Michael (Mikal); "Who is like God"; warrior leader of heavenly host (in Islam provides food and knowledge to mankind). Angel of Sunday.
- Gabriel (Jibril); " God is my strength"; chief messenger (announced Muhammad's prophethood, birth of Jesus to Mary, and a host of other things such as dictating the divine Koran in God's own words). Angel of Monday.
- Uriel (Izrail); "Light of God"; became Islamic Angel of Death, keeping demons in tow overseeing lower parts of Hell. Patron of poets and music.
- Raphael (Israfil), "God has healed"; Healing angel, who places the soul in human bodies and will sound the trumpets on Judgement Day. Angel of Wednesday.
When the Jewish people were exiled to Babylon (586 BCE), they were immersed in Zoroastrian teaching. The biblical books of Daniel and Ezekiel, written around this time, reflect a great awareness of angels. After the exile, Jewish views showed more interest in naming angels and ranking them into hierarchies.
Do you believe in angels?See results without voting
books/ Angels in Christianity
Angels in Christianity
Catholic theology outlines a hierarchy of nine choirs of angels divided into three groups: Seraphim, Cherubim and Thrones; Dominations, Virtues and Powers; Principalities, Archangels and Angels, as well as Guardian Angels for each soul, always in the form of a non-corporeal spirit.
What does the Bible teach about angels? - Christian Answers Network Answers to many common questions about angels: Who or what are angels? How did angels originate? How many angels are there?
Christian angelic hierarchy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia For other angelic hierarchies, see Hierarchy of angels. The most influential Christian angelic hierarchy was that put forward by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite ...
Jewish or Old Testament Angels
According to the Jewish Old Testament, angels are, "Attendants of the Heavenly court, worshiping God first, and conveying God's divine will to Earth."
In Jewish mysticism, Metatron (the greatest angel of all) in the Kabbalah is part of Enoch's translated material.
Hebrew Bible: The ancient Greek translation of the Old Testament known as ... The Hellenistic Jewish philosopher Philo identified the angel of ...
- Angels Guide › History of Angels Several angels appear in stories throughout the Hebrew Bible (The Old Testament). In the earlier books the angels are described as heavenly beings created by ...
GOD, SATAN AND ANGELS IN JUDAISM AND THE OLD ...factsanddetails.com › World Topics › 02History of the Jew The name Jehovah, coined in the Middle Ages, was not used in the Hebrew Bible. The source of our information about God is the Old Testament, which is ...
books - Archangels in Islamic / Muslim Religions
Archangels in Islamic / Muslim Religions
Ok, so this is the best way to explain the overall view;
- Jews say three archangels are named in the Hebrew Bible: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael; plus Uriel from other Judaic writings.
- Christians are equivocal on the number saying there are definitely three from the Old Testament, maybe Uriel, and a few more for a total of seven.
- Muslims say the number is four, and that is it.
"Glory to Allah", is the chant of Islamic cherubim called the karubiyun. And Iblis is the Devil. The four archangels they adopted and modified from Judaism recognize are:
- Mikal -(Michael)
- Jibril - (Gabriel)
- Izrail - (Uriel)
- Israfil - (Raphael)
Also belief in Islamic genies, or ambivalent angels is prevalent in Islam's angelology (and demonology). Not only recognizing the good and bad angels, but the jinn, or genies who can be benevolent or malevolent.
Angel hierarchy: Most Islamic scholars agree that this is an unimportant topic in Islam, simply because ... Jibraaiyl is the archangel responsible for revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad, verse by verse.
Angel hierarchy • Characteristics • Verses in the Qur'an that ... • Gallery
- Angels & Miracles › Angel BasicsThe major religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have all come up with angelic ... Islamic scholars place the archangels that the Qur'an mentions at the top, ...
- Categories › Religion & Spirituality › IslamWho is a Muslim?: A person who believes in and consciously follows Islam is called a Muslim, also from the same root word. So, the religion is called "Islam," ...
- Categories › Religion & Spirituality › IslamThe ten main important principles of Islam religion are considered in the following: ... book, was revealed by God to Prophet Muhammad through the Angel Gabriel. ... Denying any of them intentionally and knowingly by any Muslim gets him/her ...
Angels in all World Religions
Book; Angels in all World Religions
Publication Date: December 28, 2010
ANGELS ARE ROUTINELY DESCRIBED AS FRIENDS AND HELPERS OF HUMANS IN THEIR DAILY LIVES, POPULARIZED OVER THE YEARS IN MANY MOVIES HELPING THEIR HUMANS COMMUNICATE WITH GOD, AND THEY CARRY OUT THEIR WISHES, EVER THE SMALLEST ONES SUCH AS HELPING TO FIND A LOST KEY OR FORGOTTEN ARTICLE.
Everyone has a Guardian Angel. Yours will be with you as you move into the afterlife and will provide a comforting influence as you progress. You may not see your spiritual friend at first, but you will have an undeniable sense that "someone" is there in the background. How do you hear, listen, touch & feel your angels? There are many different ways to achieve this.
The most important advice one can know in contacting your angel is to trust your intuition through the feeling of your emotions. You inner guidance is your rudder through life and often times when you ask a question you will receive a feeling of emotion. Does it feel wonderful, good and so forth?
It is important to realize they are only here to guide us and will never force us to take the actual steps required, that is your choice and your journey to make.
This book is not a religious study but a description of the roles that Angels play in the major religions of the world, based on how they are described in the various holy texts of those religions. Check out Dr. Kelli's website for more information by visiting: www.theangelwhispers.org
Archangels video by Toulong Yang
The Archangels video by Toulong Yang though professor Rev. Dr. James Kenneth Powell II, you can find at opensourcebuddhism.org.
It speaks about the Archangels you've probably heard of, and what they represent.
Beings of higher powers are common. Distinction among angels appears in many places and religious texts. The Archangel's duties and stories of battles against evil are discussed in the video as well as the 7 Archangels that were created by God to stand around his throne. The angels are messengers and the "el" refers to god.
- Michael gets rid of devils and is a protector.
- Raphael the healer is next. Mental and physical illness he cures. He protects the young, innocent and travelers.
- Gabriel, god is my strength is in charge of communication. He aids artists.
- Uriel, God is Light, is the wisest of all of them. He aids intellectual pursuits.
Archangels Meditation Music - Archangels Michael Gabriel Raphael
Angel Therapy for Healing By Doreen Virtue
More by this Author
You can rid yourself of scar tissue (or reduce it significantly) with a few simple techniques and a homemade remedy using natural carriers and essential oils.
This guide will help you connect with your angels and guardian angel/s to aid you in all you do.
Here the top 65 songs about angels in the pop/rock/alternative genres.