Before You Begin - How to Get Started With Wicca
Wicca is a very interesting path, and I'm not surprised you're here to learn about it. So many find themselves drawn to the Wiccan Way, and while many find they aren't hardy enough to keep up with it, others find themselves lifelong lovers of the craft.
So, if you're looking to get started with Wicca, I'd like to offer you this hub, to help send you in the right direction. I'm hoping that you'll be able to benefit from the years of stumbling and crashing through it that I did, as there is so much more available to you in this advanced technological age.
Before we begin, I'd like to offer you some forewarnings and information that you may not yet be aware of:
- Wicca is not "satanism", "black magic" or "devil" nonsense. The devil doesn't even exist along the wiccan path.
- Most practitioners generally agree that you cannot be considered truly wiccan until you have studied for a MINIMUM of one year and one day, by which time most will take part in an initiation (either by a coven or through self-initiation)
- Wicca is an ancient religion, though one shrouded in intense mystery. The reason for this is because Wicca on a whole, only has only a few hard rules that must be followed. Other than that, the path can be cultivated, adapted and developed by any who wish to do so. For this reason, Wicca has metamorphed through time, even changed names here and there. Do not let other mislead you into thinking that it is just a "new ager" thing. Wicca is the craft of the wise, and a noble path to follow, regardless of the generation or times when the craft has stepped out of the mainstream history books.
- It is generally considered unwise to use Wicca to bend or command another beings will in anyway. Love spells, hexes, curses and magick of that nature is very much frowned upon in Wicca, so if those are your goals, please consider studying another path.
- "As ye harm none, Do what ye will."
Books are going to be one of your greatest resources in Wicca, as they have been since the days the Ovates stopped singing and started writing it all down. So when you find yourself with an interest in practicing Wicca, your first stop should be a book shop (physical or online, either works).
Since you're at the start of your spiral dance, take your time to pick out books that really call to you. Get some that take you through at least a brief history of Wicca, the basics of magick and information about various tools you'll want to keep handy - such as herbs.
Recommended Beginners Books:
- How to Ride a Silver Broomstick - Silver RavenWolf
- How to Stir a Magick Cauldron - Silver RavenWolf
- To Light a Sacred Flame - Silver RavenWolf
- Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magickal Herbs - Scott Cunningham
- Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner - Scott Cunningham
- Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft - Raymond Buckland
- The Spiral Dance - Starhawk
Once you've devoured these books, I recommend any of these authors on crystals, stones, charms, spellcraft and ritual knowledge. If you're willing to stretch yourself a bit, I also recommend anything by Carlos Casteneda. He's not about Wicca, however, it is about magick and it is a great way to open yourself up to many paths available to you.
The first and best place I can recommend for any beginner, is Witch School. I have been attending their online school for three years now, slowly soaking in all they have to offer. Witch School teaches mostly Corrillean (I hope I spelled that right?) Wicca, though the principals are pretty similar to most modern Wiccan cultures. It's well worth it to learn at Witch School, even if you're ultimate path is outside f the Corrillean traditions. They have varying membership prices, including one for $5 a month.
You'll also want to swagger over to youtube and check out Magick TV which was started by Witch School, though now it has quiet an eclectic selection of videos.
Last but not least, if you really want to learn, your best source is going to be through meeting other like minded people. The best place I can recommend you start doing that, is to check out MeetUp.com events for your area.
Of course, you won't want to neglect Wikipedia in your search for spirituality. It's going to be a large part of your year and a day learning, and it's fairly unbiased, which is hard to find in most encyclopedias.
- What exactly is Wicca, the Goddess, Witchcraft, and why is it so frowned upon in today's society?
- Wicca in the Kitchen: Wiccan Food List (Foods and their Magical Properties)
- A Journey into Wicca
- Basic Wicca For Beginners
- The Basics of Wicca
- Yule: Celebrating The Winter Solstice
- The Top Pagan Festivals - The Big 8
More by this Author
Before I get started, and take you into the depths of a cancer man's psyche, I must first make sure you are aware, that I can only give you knowledge from my own personal experiences. I have been attracted to cancer men...
A man born under the sun sign of Cancer is a very complex machine indeed. He has an intense love for the fine culinary arts, a hatred of instability and complete inability to be decisive make him a wonder to behold for...
How to lance a dental abscess by yourself, as a form of pain relief, before seeing a dentist to cure the basic problem.