Holy Spirit, rain down!
Changing lanes, changing lives with the Help of the Holy Spirit
(Scriptural passage : Acts 9: 1-9 )
I am aware of how anyone of us can get excited every start of the year when we set our goals and targets for the coming year.
That list will certainly include the things or attitudes we promise to change. Things that we’d like to drop and forget about, and things we’d like to start doing.
I bet many of us who traditionally do this, if not all, find ourselves passionate about fulfilling these goals at first, but eventually losing momentum as time elapses. Why?
Our fallen nature as men brings us to the slacker that we are. As humans, we find ourselves lacking on the zeal to move forward and finish the goal that we’ve started.
Oftentimes we fail because we rely on ourselves. We do not realize that we cannot do things by our own capacity, our own will. Someone has to guide us, lead us, teach us and push us until we finish the race.
That Someone is the Holy Spirit.
Why then, do we need the help of the Holy Spirit of God?
1. To lead us in the right direction.
- He will direct our steps on the right way to go, whether to start doing the right thing or stop doing something. ( Isaiah 30:21)
- He is there to guide us since we are stubborn and hard of hearing. (Acts 7:51)
- When we harden our hearts against His leading, we are actually rebelling against God. ( Hebrews 3: 7-8)
2. To convict us of sin
- 1. He makes us realize that when we sin, it is God whom we are grieving (Acts 9: 4-6)
- 2. As counselor, the Holy Spirit points out our sin and teaches us how to turn away from it and move on with our lives. ( John 16: 7-8)
- 3. He confronts us with the reality that we are sinners, leads us into submission of sin, and shows us how to be made right with God through Christ. (1 Timothy 1 :13, 15)
- 4. Only the Holy Spirit overrides our deceitful heart (Jeremiah 17:9)
- 5. We all have blind spots we are not aware of. It takes humility to ask the Holy Spirit to expose the issues of our hearts. (Psalm 139: 23, 24)
3. To transform and use us.
- 1. When we resist the Holy Spirit and go against the will of God, we are really hurting ourselves. (Acts 26:14)
- 2. He helps us make the 180 degrees turn from the wrong way of life to a changed life with the right perspective and attitude so we can serve God’s purposes. ( Acts 26: 15-18)
- 3. He wants to use us to share the Gospel by testifying about what we have experienced in Him through His grace, and by the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8)
Here are some suggested guide questions to help us evaluate in what areas of our lives we are struggling, and how the Holy Spirit can be our helper:
- Do you have a situation right now where you find it difficult to find God’s will?
- What do you know to be God’s will but find it difficult to follow? Why?
- Is there any pursuit or attitude He is convicting you to change? When the Holy Spirit convicts you of sin, through His word or through a person, how do you usually respond?
- In what ways have you grieved and dishonored Jesus from the examples listed below?
- · Disrespect for spouse
- · Taking spouse for granted
- · Dishonoring parents
- · Provoking children to anger
- · Lying
- · Complaining instead of giving thanks
- · Refusal to forgive and reconcile
- · Boasting about self and not recognizing God
- · Insisting on your way even when its wrong
- · Putting your desires and pleasures over God
5. How are you being transformed by the Holy Spirit, and what work you think He is preparing you for?