DNA, A Witness for God: Part 1
STRUCTURE OF DNA
1. The informational density stored within the organic molecule, DNA, is amazing! At a certain resolution DNA looks like a string( if stretched out) but increase the resolution and its double helical structure is revealed, which makes it look like a very long and twisted ladder. A small section of this ladder is represented at image 1. At the resolution of a string we can calculate(1) its volume to be about 8X10^(-18) cubic meters(m^3); however, six men with Phd's said(2), "DNA could in theory be packed into a cube 1.9μm on each side," which gives it a volume of 6.86X10^(-18)m^3. This is the volume we will be using in this article(hub), and this is the volume in which the hereditary information for each individual is stored in their own respective DNA molecules.
NUCLEOTIDES TO LETTERS
These six authors also said in the same paragraph, "A typical human cell thus contains a total of 46 chromosomes and about 6X10^9 nucleotide pairs of DNA," and that, "By comparison, 6X10^9 letters in this book would occupy more than a million pages, thus requiring more than 10^17 times as much space."
DNA INFORMATION WEIGHS 2.5 TONS
The book they refer to, and authored, is a full sized textbook titled, Molecular Biology of the Cell. It is well written, thoroughly organized, and measures about 8.5 inches by 11 inches. Allowing for small margins a total of about 6000 letters and spaces( to separate words) can be fit on a page( so 12,000 for each sheet of paper). One million pages( 500,000 sheets of paper) would be a stack of paper about 110 feet high, and it would weigh 4,961 pounds( 2.5 tons). This is the informational density God put within a single DNA molecule.
MATHEMATICS IS GOD'S LANGUAGE
2. Mathematics is, in my opinion, God's language. He can speak all languages, of course, but His fluency in mathematics dwarfs anything anyone has ever achieved with this language. We do not invent mathematical techniques; we just continue to discover them. But even now we have barely learned to "speak" it; nevertheless, even a rudimentary understanding of basic arithmetic will reveal aspects of God's omniscience and omnipotence which we would not clearly see without using God's language--mathematics. So let's put some more numbers to the informational density God packed into all the DNA molecules, which He created by Jesus Christ.
87 MILLION TONS OF INFORMATION CAN BE PUT IN HAIR
3. Grab a single hair from the top of your head, and cut it to a length of 1 inch, which is about as long as my thumb is wide. Now gaze at that hair and notice just how narrow is its diameter and how short is its length; nevertheless, we could still theoretically pack 35 million DNA molecules into it. If we stick with our current analogy that those six authors suggested, i.e. assigning a letter to each nucleotide pair, then our 1 inch hair, in this thought experiment, will contain 2.1X10^17 letters. Using our 8.5X11 copy paper( full size textbook pages) it will require 3.52X10^13 pages( 1.76X10^13 sheets of paper) to contain all those letters. This represents a stack of paper 733,000 miles high( 3 times further than the moon or a distance of 29 times around the earth's equator). This stack of paper would weigh 87 million tons, which represents the weight of 239 Empire State Buildings.
AT DNA'S DIAMETER, OUR HAIR WOULD BE 50,000 MILES LONG
4. Whether it is bread dough, silly puddy or malleable clay, most of us know how to take a chunk of one of these substances and roll it into the shape of a tube( right circular cylinder). As we continue to roll it back and forth in our hands, the tube's diameter gets smaller, and its length gets longer but its volume remains constant. Let us hypothetically do this with our 1 inch long hair, which has a pretty small diameter to begin with. We will continue to roll it until its diameter is a constant 2nm( 2 nanometers or 2X10^-9 meters), which is roughly the diameter of a DNA molecule. Now how long would this tube be in order for the volume of this hair to remain constant? It would be 50,000 miles long or twice around the earth's equator. So what can we conclude from this arithmetic? Well, one thing we can conclude is that God "types" His information on very thin "lines" indeed.
GOD IS AWESOME
5. There is a song sung in Christian churches with these words in it: "Our God is an awesome God." The informational density that God packed into a DNA molecule is only one example, from an arsenal of millions of examples, which prove those six words are absolutely true. Just as the luminosity of quasars, or the rotational energy in stars and galaxies are powerful witnesses testifying, by Jesus Christ, to God's omnipotence, so also DNA is one of numerous other polymers which testify, by Jesus Christ, to God's omniscience.
6. The link that follows, Genesis Unleashed, addresses the origin of the information that DNA stores within its geometric structure. This link is within Creation.com's site who has thousands of articles substantiating that God is the Creator. This link is addressing the 2nd question among 15 that are posed to atheists and evolutionists concerning the impossibility of random processes constructing God's creation; however, random processes has very little to do with information. Information is an entity which must be understood by both the sender and receiver. DNA is the "paper" upon which the information is "typed" upon, but God is the originator of that information, and God taught the electromagnetic force to "type" it( Job 38:36). Amazingly, God also taught the atoms and molecules to understand the information in order to build the complex proteins as the human rantes protein below and those at part 2 of this hub( linked). I say "atoms and molecules" loosely and generally because the internal mechanism that directs the construction, or "writing," goes much deeper than even the emf( electromagnetic force). The emf is just a tool to construct the information on DNA, and then to use that information to build specific proteins. An analogy is us. We, our bodies, build skyscrapers, cruise ships, and airliners, but our bodies are just tools for the brains, arms, legs and hands that God created and gave to us to get those jobs done.
Origin of information on DNA
- Genesis Unleashed | media center category | Video and Audio
Creation or evolution? It makes a big difference! Over 8,500 trustworthy articles. Evidence for biblical creation.
7. This next link below is from the same site as the previous link, Creation.com. It addresses the translation of information. As I have mentioned, it is not enough to just have information. One must be able to convey that information to a recipient that can process the information and execute its instructions, as building proteins in this case.
Evolution of the code, AND its translation?
- Genetic code intelligence | 2010 | fp articles
Living things have amazing biological information storage and transcription that function on an information system and could not have arisen from non-material source
HUMAN RANTES PROTEIN:
You can read about this protein below at Wikipedia CCL5( link to it). Even though this is just a simplified schematic it demonstrates the complex proteins that DNA is encoded to synthesize. Also at the schematic blow up( link to it) you can click onto the + magnifying glass and blow up any portion of the molecule. This reveals the prodigious detail of protein molecules even more. Keep in mind this is a simplistic schematic; the molecules themselves are much more complex.
- DNA, A Witness for God, Part 2( The essence of information)
This link will take you to part 2 of this hub. The address and title may not correlate, but the link will take you to the correct location nevertheless.
CREATION MAGAZINE PRAISES GOD WITH HUNDREDS OF ARTICLES:
Dr. Werner Gitt wrote a similar article to this one, and I highly recommend it. Dr. Gitt uses different comparisons that are very fascinating. If you want access to hundreds of well written articles by competent authors who address the complexity that God designed into His creation, and articles that praise and glorify God, then this is a good place to go to get just that.
- Dazzling design in miniature (DNA information storage)- Creation Magazine
Creation Ministries International, home of Creation Magazine; scientific evidence supporting Genesis
As I mentioned in the first paragraph of "Read Me First . . . " I would let readers know when any footnotes were completed. Footnotes 1 and 2 were done on "Is there any proof the Bible is God's Word, part 2."( link to it) These are concerning earth as a sphere, and the polarity of space.
More by this Author
Fractal Geometry is mentioned in God's Word, the Bible? Absolutely! This hub presents a powerful argument to convince you that not only is Fractal Geometry mentioned in the Bible, but to this day we still have no idea...
Going to heaven? begins at par. 10. DEs finds functions. This hub works backwards. You are given a function, and you find a differential equation associated with it.