DNA, A Witness for God, Part 2( The essence of information)
DNA, A WITNESS FOR GOD IN DIVERSE WAYS
1. When I began doing the necessary research for this hub I came to the conclusion that I may have to title it, "DNA, A Witness for God, Part 1 of about 153." For example, Its 3 dimensional structure is exquisitely designed, as is all of its internal structures. This alone would take copious hubs to elucidate, but it does not stop there. The more I studied these structures, the more fascinating and complex they appeared, and the more there was to write about, especially as these structures are attributed to God. Also the 3 major classes of RNA( ribosomal, transfer and messenger) are all "synthesized under the direction of DNA templates, [which is] a process known as transcription"( B. α 252, Page 852, par.1). Then "ribosomes enzymatically link together amino acids to form proteins"( B α 252, page 18, C1, par.3). All of these unfathomably complex processes are executed under the direction of the information that God stored within the geometric structure of DNA molecules. This information is molecularly read, understood, and used to execute the intricate construction of over 100,000 different proteins, the building blocks of our bodies. Somewhere along the course of my life I learned how to add. So when I peer into the complexity of DNA, and into its association and communication with other molecules, and how DNA initiates the entire construction of our physical bodies . . . well, it all adds up to not only proof of God's existence, but of His omniscience also.
INFORMATION, A WITNESS FOR GOD
2. Unfortunately, the only thing that will be addressed in this hub is the informational aspect of DNA. Part 1 of DNA addressed its informational density. Another hub will give an argument that this density is even much greater than we have supposed. This hub will begin to address the essence of information. What is information? Where does it come from? How is it responded to? Why does it exist? I doubt we will get to all of this in this hub, but at least we can get started. I do not think that information can be considered a physical quality; its storage is physical, but its origin is not. In my writing and comments here at hubpages I have quoted Job 38:36 many times, but only the 1st part of it. The 2nd part is "who has given understanding to the heart?" I think this is a very general and all encompassing statement by God. I believe God is referring to understanding who is God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. This part of the verse is also referring to understanding right and wrong, good and evil, having discernment, judgement and common sense. I think God is also referring to processing experiences. He has not only given humans this ability, but to a certain extent to animals also. For example, you will burn your hand if you stick it into a fire. The actual burning of your hand does not constitute information. Being cognizant of what happened, understanding its destructive effects, remembering this and using this knowledge to avoid doing it again---this is information, and this is not a physical quality. The burning is physical; cognizance of it is from God. Job 39: 13--17 demonstrates this difference. In this Scripture it is not information "that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them," but rather it is the awareness of this damage that constitutes information. Cognizance of what this destruction actually means is understanding, and doing something about it is wisdom, and all of this is from God( verse 17). Humans have had DNA in their bodies since Adam and Eve, but all the knowledge we have accrued concerning it has occurred relatively recently; therefore, only now has it become information. God constructed the universe, and everything in it, and it took an enormous--beyond our comprehension--amount of information to do so. As we continue to learn what God has done then His information becomes information to us. We are now aware of it.
INFORMATION--THE ESSENCE OF ORDER:
3. Can you think of any structure--any structure at all--that does not require information to build it? Even something as simple as a paper airplane requires information to build. You would have to type considerable instructions on how to make the folds, and at what angles they need to be made. This is assuming you are typing this information for a person who knows how to fold paper. If you are going to program a machine to do it then the task becomes enormous--and you still have to make the machine! From a paper clip to a skyscraper, and from a toothpick to the Saturn V rocket, and from a pencil to a computer, everything that has ordered structure requires information to build, and it requires a builder. There is no exception. What about the atom itself? Yes, above all things of which we are aware, the atom requires an enormous amount of information to construct. At paragraph 21 of hub#12.3 I alluded to the unfathomable complexity of the atom. In our classical view of the atom, the electron travels at nearly 5 million miles per hour( explained further at paragraph 12 of hub#12.6). This generates a huge current at this scale, which in turn creates a powerful magnetic force. These many powerful forces within each atom, including the proton repulsion, should blow the atom apart, but God has designed all these forces to work together to make atoms structurally stable, and this design required omniscience( information--and lots of it). Ultimately, it is Jesus Christ who keeps it all together( Colossians 1:16-17).
INFORMATION IN DNA--A WITNESS FOR GOD:
4. Does the information you are reading in this hub originate from your computer screen? Does the information you read in a book originate from the pages of the book? Can you think of any information, stored anywhere, that has not required an author to put it there? Why would an author write something that no one is going to read? Not only does he/she expects someone to read it, but to understand it also. Someone may be able to read a textbook in mathematics but he may not be able to understand it. It takes a lot of study and work to understand it, as is true for most disciplines. Do you think the information stored within DNA originated from DNA? How would that be possible? It is not possible with computers; it is not possible with the books you read. Why would anyone think it would be any different with DNA? What reason would there be for the information God stored in DNA if not for the foresight of using it for constructive purposes? If random processes put the information on DNA, then how did random processes( RP) have this foresight? And how would RP store this information on DNA? Paragraph 21 of hub#12.5 explains how the electromagnetic force( EMF) may access information that God stores in the structure of space in order to construct complex molecules as DNA, as well as millions of other structures. The EMF is the typewriter, DNA is the paper, and God, through Jesus Christ( Colossians 1:13-17; Hebrews 2:9-10) is the typist. I would be very interested in any atheist trying to explain how the information--and such an enormous amount of it--got placed on DNA by random processes.
MOLECULAR READERS---WITNESSES FOR GOD:
5. We've talked about authors. What about the readers? What are they doing? Well, what we do when we read is recognize geometric figures and their relationship with spaces. As I explained at paragraph 14 of hub#12.1 our entire brains work on this task; well at least a significant portion of them. Yet the molecules, which God created, do the same thing at the molecular level. Book α252 has on page 889, par.1, states, "The central dogma of molecular biology states that 'DNA makes RNA makes protein'( although RNA can also 'make' DNA)." These molecules do this by processing the information God put on DNA via the electromagnetic force( EMF). Ponder this! Our brains are 175 trillion times bigger than DNA( a molecule). If the DNA molecule was the size of our brain, then our brain would be a cube of over 3.69 miles to a side. Or to put it another way, 175 trillion brains placed side by side would be a length of 15.22 billion miles. It would take nearly 29,000 years to travel that distance driving 60 MPH. How do you suppose these molecules know how to do this; that is read the information, process it and then execute the instructions inherent in the information? The proteins they meticulously and exquisitely construct are enormously more complex than any machine we have ever made, including computers. Can anyone seriously think random processes is responsible for this rather than God, the Creator?
HIERARCHICAL STRUCTURES TESTIFY OF GOD:
6. Image 1 offers a schema of hierarchical protein structure. The amino acid linear sequence( the specific order of amino acids) constitute the primary structure. Keep in mind that each amino acid also has a specific( a word I will be using a lot from here on) structure consisting of specific atoms in specific relation to one another; their angular orientations are specific as are their bonding lengths.
7. Predominant secondary structures are the alpha helices and beta sheets which in turn form specific tertiary 3D( three dimensional) structures. If we think of the specific atomic structures as the micro realm then as we " walk away " from these we see their macro structures : helices and sheets. The helices have specific curvature and torsion. Torsion of a curve, in this case, is the rate at which the curves separate from each other. Think of placing one end of a spring on your table. Now raise the spring in the air. The torsion measures the way the curves of the spring are separating producing a helix. God made this specific in protein structures. The beta sheet have specific linearity, width, length and twist.
8. As shown in Image 1, the secondary structures execute specific orientations to make specific tertiary structures, which in turn form sub-units with specific orientations to make the quaternary structures. Take a look at the protein images on this hub, and ponder the fact that these structures are specific. Every curve, twist, angle, space, and atomic orientation is specific, as God designed it. The amount of information required to construct these proteins is beyond our comprehension. To claim, or believe that random processes could accomplish this monumental task is laughable. As I alluded to at paragraph 21 of hub#12.3 , no one with any sense would try to explain how a skyscraper, or computer can be built by random processes. Yet this is precisely what is taught in biology classes---that not only proteins but our entire bodies are build by random processes.
GOD, EVIDENCES, AND BLINDNESS:
9. God has inundated all of us with evidences that He is the Creator, and the evidences are endless. A dozen people can spend their entire lives expounding how DNA and proteins testify of God as Creator. But that leaves so much more: trees, bees and spiders; quasars, black holes and galaxies; our eyes, ears, and brains, and everything that makes them work. Don't forget electrons, gluons( carrier of color force--a very strong nuclear force), and neutrinos; dark matter, dark energy and light( EMF) including all the different wavelengths so we have color and other benefits. The angular momentum of planets, stars and galaxies must be included in our list; the amount of energy it required from God to get all these structures to spin and rotate is astronomical. Rotational energy of the earth alone is 2.137 X 1029 Joules, which is about how much energy the United States can produce in 2.74 billion years. We need to include the expansion of the universe, forces of nature, and information stored probably in the structure of space( see paragraph 4 above). Space has structure; therefore God had to create it. The laws of quantum mechanics, and Newtonian mechanics are informatively based phenomena, which we have discovered, but these laws themselves were created by God. Lets not forget ants, flowers, and horses; lions, tigers and bears, and . . . and . . . and . . . . How is it possible that so many people believe that all these things can be produced by random processes? So why is it that so many people--and in some cases, apparently intelligent people--can not see these evidences, and unquestionably know that random processes can not build a universe? God has amply answered this question : Deuteronomy 20:4; Isaiah 44:18; Jeremiah 5:21; John 12:40; Romans 11:8-10.
VERY EXCITING! DON'T MISS OUT ON THE FUN!
10. You can click onto each of the links I provided for each image below. Then click the image again after it finishes downloading. Now you should have the image with a magnifying glass with a + sign in the middle of it. You can move this + around and click wherever you want and the image is magnified two to four times bigger. You have to do this to at least image 2, 5, 8, or 9--IT IS SO COOL!!!
11. Now after you have done this with at least one of those mentioned, just gaze at it and ponder this: These are schema of molecular structures. They represent a small part of all the details inherent in these structures, and yet even at this schematic resolution they scream "SPECTACULAR" in glory to God. Even at this schematic resolution look at the exquisite detail that God designed into these proteins! UNBELIEVABLE!
GET THE ESSENCE OF WHAT THIS HUB IS ABOUT:
E1. Tuoba sibuh sihtt ahwfo ecnes seeht teg--->Can you read this? Most people will not be able to read this because the order is out of order. Actually it still has order, but it is not immediately recognizable. It is the title of this paragraph written backwards with a space every 5 letters. Now I could write, gettheessenceofwhatthishubisabout, and, because you have a brain, you may recognize this as the title without the spaces. Now if I were to randomly write all those letters in any order whatsoever, or without any order whatsoever, then there is no way--without tremendous effort--that you could figure out what those 33 letters are trying to say. Now suppose we can rotate the letters, as for example, put the E's facing down or up, letters on their side or facing upside down. How about we take out the middle line in the E's so we just have a rectangle with one side missing. Do you think you can recognize it as an E? No, because it is no longer an E. Now let's say you cut out each of these letters and arrange them in 3D space( three dimensional space). Can you imagine how much more difficult it would be to read something in 3D space? Or to write something in 3D space?
E2. This is the point of these very specific protein molecules. God, through Jesus Christ, gave them very specific 3D structures including various bond lengths between atoms, and various bond strengths. Some of the internal structures are twisted at specific rotations and angles. Some chains have one carbon atom, two, or three at their end, and they have specific orientation to one another. Random processes could no more make a protein than they can a skyscraper with all the plumbing and electrical all properly hooked up. In fact it would be much more probable that a tornado could construct a properly working skyscraper than random processes making a protein molecule. It is absolutely laughable to even ponder such a thing.
E3. God is the Creator. One "must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."( Hebrews 11:6). That is the only Way to get eternal life in heaven rather than eternal torment in hell. PONDER THE EVIDENCE, and make a decision to obey Christ.
This link will take you to many images of proteins.
WHAT IS NEXT?
12. I don't know. That is the problem with writing about God's creative powers, even if it is on a single subject as DNA. In this informative and technological age our sciences are discovering more and more of the complexities which God designed into His creation. If I lived to be a million years old, I still would not scratch the surface of what could be written about DNA, and I mean this literally. There will be a hub in this series on DNA entitled, "DNA a Witness for God, part?--Get Your Own Dirt:" If I don't get to it in the Get Your Own Dirt hub then there will be a hub explaining the number 1 chance in 1050,000,000,000 of DNA forming by random processes, which I mentioned at paragraph 14, hub#12.6. I plan to have a math hub on using vector calculus to determine an estimate on the length of a DNA molecule. I hope this math hub will reveal to the reader the complexity involved in making curved structures--God is omniscient; that is for sure.
AN OUTSTANDING HUB!
13. One of the most remarkable hubs I've read on the complexity of this molecular realm is ID Science's hub, Why Darwinian Evolution is Impossible. This hub will enable you to build faith. It not only will build your own faith in God as the Creator but it will help you to build the faith of others. It is a masterpiece of logic, and jam packed with information, links and videos.
More by this Author
Fractal Geometry is mentioned in God's Word, the Bible? Absolutely! This hub presents a powerful argument to convince you that not only is Fractal Geometry mentioned in the Bible, but to this day we still have no idea...
Going to heaven? begins at par. 10. DEs finds functions. This hub works backwards. You are given a function, and you find a differential equation associated with it.