Easy Ways to Connect With the Elements
The Four Elements
For anyone who is walking a spiritual path that is nature-based, the main circulating question is usually how can I connect to the Earth or to the Divine? If we look at the bare basics of what makes up this Earth, we get the elements. Depending on the culture, there are usually four or more elements that are the foundation for all life. The basic four that we will be using here are: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.
You might be a beginner on a nature-based path, or you might be a long-timer. Either way, everyone could use the chance to refresh their souls and connect with the Divine or the Universe by simply connecting with the four basic elements. And the best part is - you don't have to spend a ton of money, and you don't have to go far in order to connect to the elements. You can pretty much just walk out into your backyard...or onto your front porch. Or if you have no other options, open a window. Here are some easy ways to connect to the elements.
Connect with Earth
The Earth is our Mother. She feeds us. She provides for us. And all she wants is a little respect and love in return from us. In order to do this, we can easily connect with the element of Earth by doing one or more of the following activities:
- plant a tree and protect trees in your local area
- plant and tend to a garden or simply grow a plant in a container
- take your shoes off, go for a walk, and feel the ground surge up from beneath your feet
- adopt an animal in need
- pick trash up from the ground when you see it lying around
- visit a local cave or cavern
- go for a hike and enjoy the presence of the trees and plants
- go on a camping trip
- donate to a worthy cause that fights to preserve wildlife or nature reserves
- reduce, reuse, and recycle plastic, glass, aluminum, etc. as much as possible
- donate old clothing and goods to a thrift store instead of trashing it
- adopt a tree and care for it
- adopt a graveyard and tend to the graves that society has forgotten
- leave biodegradable offerings for the earth spirits and fay
- add more herbs, fruits, and vegetables to your diet
- add crystals and stones to your home décor
- bring some trees and plants indoors
Connect with Air
Air keeps us alive. It fills our lungs and gives our body's fuel to survive. Some folks aren't sure how to connect with the element of Air. I actually find this element to be the easiest to connect to. Here are some ideas to help you connect with Air:
- during nice weather, open the windows to your home
- roll down the windows when you're in your car traveling
- if you have no way to roll down/open a window, turn on a fan
- on a breezy day, stand outside and allow the breeze to touch your face
- burn some incense and allow the smoke to fill your home with good vibrations
- jump on a swing and swing high!
- go on a roller coaster ride and feel the wind whip your hair back
- breathe deeply and slowly...allow the air to fully fill your lungs
- if you're able to and are adventurous, go skydiving or bungee jumping
- hike up a mountain and feel the air change with the elevation levels
- lay on the grass and watch the clouds roll by
- watch the birds in flight
Connect with Fire
Fire can be felt in the heat of the moment - in our very own passion and anger. It can be felt during a fever of sickness. Fire consumes and makes way for new life. It keeps us warm and cooks our food. Without the Sun's fire, we would not survive.
Here are some ways for you to connect with the element of Fire:
- safely light and enjoy a bonfire on a cold night
- roast marshmallows or hot dogs over a fire
- safely light a candle and watch its flame flicker
- light some incense and let the smoke fill your home with good vibrations
- go outside and feel the sun's warmth on your face and skin
- wrap up in a warm blanket and feel your own body's warmth radiate
- cook a healthy, hearty hot meal on the stove or in the oven
- go on a trip to the beach during the summer and revel in the sun's heat
- just go outside!
- during the summer, have a barbecue cook-out...and man the grill!
- when your emotions get the best of you, allow yourself a moment to actually enjoy the fire inside of you - your passion, anger, lust, and all of those fiery emotions we are told to stifle
- during a thunderstorm, watch the lightning light up the sky
Vote in a poll.
Which element do you feel most connected to?See results without voting
Connect with Water
Perhaps one of the most loved of the elements is Water. Water keeps our vessels filled with life-promoting fluids. Water keeps our mouths wet and our thirst quenched. Water feeds our plants and aids in the process of survival for most species on this planet in one way or another. But water can be friendly...and sometimes deadly.
Here are some safe ways to connect with Water:
- take a cleansing bath or shower
- drink more water throughout the day (and appreciate the water you're drinking)
- go for a walk around a lake or pond and watch the ripples of the water
- spend a day at the beach, listen to the waves, swim in the ocean
- put a bowl of water out in your home for a few days to absorb negativity
- learn how to surf or scuba dive
- donate or support aquatic life preservation
- on a rainy day, drop the umbrella and let the rain caress your hair and face
- play in the rain with your kids
- run through the sprinklers on a hot summer day
- messily wash your car outside on a summer's day
- throw some water on your face to cool off
- go for a swim in a pool or dip in a hot tub
- add a pond to your garden
- add a water fountain to your home decor
© 2014 Author Nicole Canfield
More by this Author
As far as Gods and Goddesses go, Wiccans believe in a huge range of deities. Some (including myself) don't give their deities a name or an association, as they feel this limits and inhibits a connection. However, many...
The humble snail and slug are often overlooked as powerful symbols of spirituality. Learn about their symbolism and the messages they bring to those who would listen.
Hauntings can be very frightening...but even more frightening are hauntings involving a dark spirit or a demon. Here are the signs it's a demon haunting your home, and things that can attract a demon.