Fun and Interesting Facts About Judaism
I believe that everyone should know at least a few facts about the world's many religions. This is the first of a series of articles, in which I will share a few fun facts about the many diverse religious philosophies of the world. I hope you enjoy these snippets of knowledge, and learn something new about the faith of a friend or colleague!
Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people, which originates from the stories in the Hebrew Bible , where the Jews are described as "G-d's chosen people." Here are a few fun facts about the Jewish faith:
- Judaism is one of the oldest religions in the world.
- Abraham, father of Isaac, is the traditional founding father of Judaism.
- Judaism is the only religion in the world that has lost its holy land and was able to regain it.
- The original language of Judaism is Hebrew, and is still used by Jews today.
- A kipa, or yarmulke, is a small dish-shaped cap worn by male Jews to fulfil a requirement, stated in the Talmud , that their head should be covered at all times.
- Two major holidays celebrated by Jews are Passover and Hanukkah.
- A Jewish teacher is called a Rabbi.
- The term kosher, or in Hebrew, kashrut , is used to describe the dietary laws of the Jews. Jews are forbidden to imbibe foods that are considered "unclean" as commanded in the Torah .
- Traditional, or Orthodox Jews, adhere to 613 commandments, outlined in the Torah , as opposed to Christianity's 10.
- At the age of 13, Jewish children become responsible for their own action, and usually hold a ceremony to commemorate their rite of passage from childhood into adulthood, when they become bar mitzvah (for boys) or bat mitzvah (for girls).
- The seventh day of the week is the Sabbath. Jews are commanded to keep the Sabbath as a day of rest, as G-d rested after six days of creating the world.
- Gematria is the name of a system of Jewish numerology, assigning a numerical value to letters.
- The Sanhedrin, the chief court of law in the ancient Jewish tradition comprised of 71 rabbis.
- Antisemitism is a word used to describe hatred and discrimination against people of the Jewish faith.
- The Western Wall is a large retain wall is all that is left of the second Jewish Temple, built in Jerusalem by King Herod. It is located on the western side of the Temple Mount. Jews gather there daily for prayer and celebration.
More by this Author
Philosophy of religion is, in the simplest terms, the study of religious thought. Philosophers of religion seek to answer some very important questions that have been around since the dawn of time and continue to be...
A brief tour of the most commonly used religious symbols, and what they mean to those who use them.
101 great words and phrases you can use to avoid cussing! Actually, these are arguably better, more interesting, more creative, and far more insulting than any of those cliche old four letter words.