Fun and Interesting Facts About Sikhism
Many people know very little about any religion other than their own. I believe that everybody should know at least a few facts about each of the world’s most popular religions. Sikhism is the world’s fifth largest religion, with over 23 million adherents worldwide. Therefore, without any further ado, here are a few fun and interesting facts about Sikhism.
- Sikhism is a monotheistic religion, which emerged in India in the 16th century.
- The main goal of Sikhism is to build a close and loving relationship with God.
- God, according to Sikh tradition, has 99 names.
- The founding teacher of Sikhism was Guru Nanek Dev, who was born in 1469 to a Hindu family. He was the first of ten.
- Many Sikhs recite the fist hymn composed by Guru Nanek Dev, entitled Mool Mantar, daily.
- The word "Sikhism" is derived from the word "Sikh," which means a strong and able disciple.
- The Sikhs reject the Hindu caste system.
- Sikhs are often mistaken for Muslims, because the male adherents wear turbans, and do not shave their beards, or cut their hair.
- Sikhs are forbidden to smoke or drink alcohol.
- The sacred text of Sikhism is the Adi Granth, which is their ultimate source of authority and doctrine.
- Sikhism forbids the representation of god in any image, as well as the worship of idols.
- Sikhs believe in the Hindu concepts of karma, samsara, and reincarnation. Only by being born into a human life can one obtain salvation.
- The most common name middle name among followers of Sikhism is Singh.
- Sikhism’s most important holidays are called gurpurbs and celebrate the birthday or martyrdom of one of their gurus.
- Most Sikh holidays are celebrated with a ritual involving a 48-hour reading of the Adi Granth.
I hope that this article will shed a little light on the lesser known and understood religion of Sikhism. Taking the time to learn a little bit about the beliefs of others will help us to become a more understanding and accepting world.
More by this Author
Fun and interesting facts about the Christian religion.
A brief tour of the most commonly used religious symbols, and what they mean to those who use them.
101 great words and phrases you can use to avoid cussing! Actually, these are arguably better, more interesting, more creative, and far more insulting than any of those cliche old four letter words.