How To Design Your Own Feng Shui House
In this project I'll show you how to design the ideal house according to feng shui rules. You can also reorganize your room using some of these ideas.
Stairs should never face the front door. So, when you are designing your house, make sure that the front door and stairway (if there are two floors in your house) are apart from each other.
Roads in ancient China were always windy and curvy to keep away evil spirits, who could only travel in straight lines. If you would like to make a windy road leading up to your house, this will help to make your design have good feng shui and keep you safe from the evil spirits!
Good feng shui means avoiding clutter and keeping things neat, which lets the energy flow harmoniously through your house. This might be hard to show in a drawing, but in your own house where you live now, you can start having good feng shui today by cleaning up your room!
1. Feng Shui Loves Rectangles
The best shape for a house with good feng shui is a rectangle. First draw a large rectangle big enough to fit all the rooms and details inside.
You can choose a “U” or “L” shape, but then you must add other natural elements (such as trees, a fountain, or a garden) to the border to close the open side. When you are finished, the outline of your house should have no openings.
Use your ruler and follow the lines of your grid paper, so that you have a neat design with straight edges.
- Career: for grown-ups, this area refers to jobs. For children it refers to school.
- Wisdom and knowledge: learning, knowledge, and study.
- Health and family: physical and emotional health, as well as your ancestors, current family, friends, and co-workers.
- Wealth: money and anything else that makes you feel blessed.
- Fame and reputation: how the world sees you.
- Love and marriage: personal relationships, such as those between husband and wife, business partners, and good friends.
- Children and creativity: children, current projects, or anything creative.
- Helpful people: relationships with people other than your family and friends, such as a stranger who has touched your life, a mentor at work, your priest, or rabbi (or other spiritual guide).
- Center or Qi: harmonizes all the areas together. It represents health and longevity and is the center of the bagua. It should be as uncluttered as possible.
2. The Magic Number is Nine
Divide the house into nine equal sections, or rooms and label them. Each room will be one of your nine bagua (pronounced bag-wa). In feng shui, each bagua is a different aspect of life.
So each room in your house will represent a different part of your life. For example, if your family room is the “wisdom and knowledge” room, then this is the place where you should study and keep your books.
The Chinese believed that keeping your nine bagua in harmony kept different parts of your life in harmony.
3. Emphasize The Most Important
Choose where to place your front door. This is an important decision. The room you enter first in your house will determine which room, or bagua, is most important to you. For example, if you value health and family most, put the entrance in this room.
4. Use Colors With Purpose
Choose which color each room will be. In Chinese culture and feng shui, each color has a different symbolic meaning or mood. To make good feng shui, you should use a mix of many different colors throughout the house to balance the qi. Here are some examples of the meanings of different colors:
- Red: attraction, warmth, strength. Red also means energy and too much can cause an argument. Use it sparingly.
- Orange: sense of purpose, organization.
- Blue: calm, relaxation.
- Green: health, potential.
- Purple: spiritual guidance.
- Yellow: energy, life.
- Pink: love, romance.
- Black: mood, perception, money. Too much black can be draining so only use it a little.
More by this Author
Did you know that there is a patron saint for everything. Animals, alcoholics, even serial killers have their patron saints in a system that originated in Roman times and is as old as Christianity.
Augury is a class of divination that involves the interpretation of signs and events occurring in nature. Practitioners of augury believe that everything in the natural world has a divine spirit that can, and sometimes...
Learn basic Arabic words and phrases as spoken in the Gulf States, and use them as a polite gesture when traveling to Dubai.