Is Islam Evil?
Though there are many theological similarities between Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, we see much less radical, political violence from the latter two than from Islam. While the early church had its dark periods in history, the Crusades, subsequent misguided persecutions of Jews, wars against heretics, and the Inquisition were really child's play compared to the evils that happen every day in modern times because of Islam. Now, thanks to the benevolent influence of various philosophers critical of Christianity, and reformers within it, Christianity has reformed to where it is no longer a faith spread by violence, war, and threats. We cannot say this about Islam, which started as a religion spread by war, and remains so after centuries.
Islam Means Submission
One major difference Islam has with Christianity and Judaism is that it is the least tolerant of alternative points of view in philosophy and theology. Sunni and Shia Muslims have been at war as long as they've had a schism, and Muslims have a long history of being intolerant of philosophy if it can in any way be interpreted to undermine their beliefs. Therefore, the only noteworthy Islamic scholars or philosophers worth talking about were theists, while there are scores of non-theistic, deist, and even anti-theist philosophers of note coming from European lands where Christianity was the dominant religion. Islam to this day does not tolerate philosophy critical of it. Of course, in medieval times, Muslims preserved and translated texts from ancient Greece and Rome that became an important source of learning for Christian monks and theologians, but Muslims and Christians preserved them because Platonist philosophy can be used to support their idea of God.
Islam means "submission". There is not as much room for debate and discussion, only submission, with questioning one's Islamic leader taboo. This created an army-like mindset, which made the religion spread quickly and be successful in a physical sense of having a high population. In Judaism and Christianity, questioning is often used as a starting point to talk about God and the Bible. In Islam, it is believe or die, there is no questioning.
Islamists Suck At Apologetics
Apologetics is the branch of philosophy arguing in support of one's religion. Because Islamic teachers and speakers live in a vast echo chamber, where arguing with their core beliefs is illegal in many places, they're bad at arguing on behalf of them. Islam does not hold up to scrutiny. Christians can easily see that they misunderstand Christian tenets, and western atheists can clearly see that many of their beliefs are just plain ridiculous (See below video, for example.)
I feel like, even though Islam was always a violent religion, what we're seeing now with terrorism is the howl of a dying dragon, lashing out in all its ferocity against a world where science, rationality, and modern technology have shined a harsh light onto all of its ugliness. Muslims cannot handle the truth that their ideology is false, backwards, and ridiculous. In any kind of free and open marketplace of ideas, Islam will fall. Therefore, Islamic leaders are tyrannical and suppress freedom of speech, and barbaric deaths await critics of the faith. The more that we see people learning about alternative points of view from the internet, the more anger we see directed at western civilization.
This Guy Destroys Islam on Sargon of Akkad's Channel
Why I Think Islam is Evil: A List
Islam holds many positions which not only go against my personal ethics, but against most people's ethics in a rational society. In America, our greatest value is personal liberty. Our country was founded by breaking with monarchial tradition, to create a country with religious freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and separation of church and state, meaning that there would be no government-based tyranny of one religion dominating the country. These freedoms have spread throughout the world because they're what people typically want. Our rebellion from England was a catalyst for the slaves to overthrow their masters in Haiti, and for the French Revolution, which tried to establish a republic where leaders were chosen by the people, like ours are. Our values were not just American, but represent what is truly best for all of humanity, and people of many different cultures and faiths recognize this.
Things I disagree with with Islam include:
- The death penalty for homosexuals.
- Sharia law treating women as worth less than a man, and restricting women's choices.
- The societal pressure for women to cover their bodies (even though I know that veiling is not universal in the Islamic world, it is common). This leads to women being not rescued by firemen in some cases if they are dressed immodestly. Islam is basically saying that if a woman dresses like a whore, she deserves to die.
- The death penalty for adultery, fornication, etc.
- The mistreatment and death sentences against critics of Islam, who usually have to escape Islamic countries to be free to speak and write, such as Marjane Satrapi, Ayan Hirsi Ali, and Salmon Rushidie.
- The fact that Islam is responsible for most religious violence in the world right now, clashing with Jews, Christians, atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Zoroastrians, Sikhs, etc.
- Since the fall of fascism and communism, the majority of autocratic states with limited human rights and freedoms are Islamic.
- Islam is even violent against its own people, with a lot of violence that also targets unorthodox and questioning Muslims, sects of Islam they consider incorrect, and Muslims perceived to be Western (especially women who dress in a more Western way).
- The barbaric methods of execution for certain people is actually specified in the Qu'ran, as Cult of Dusty's video below points out, including, but not limited to, killing homosexuals by throwing them off the roof of a building.
I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for this. But ask yourself, why are you more upset as a Muslim at people like me calling your religion evil for the actions of terrorists than you get at actual terrorists? I think it's because terrorists are the ones with the balls to follow Islam exactly as it says in the Qu'ran. But prove to me that I'm wrong. Where are all these good Muslims? Did anyone reach out to Omar, the Orlando shooter, and tell HIM that Islam was a peaceful religion, reminding him of all the passages in the Qu'ran where God says nonviolence is the answer and where the faithful are instructed to turn the other cheek? Oh that's right, they don't exist.
Do you think Islam is an evil religion?See results without voting
More by this Author
Beginning of a 2-part hub about the Bushido code, the moral rules for samurai, and how modern individuals can apply it to their lives.
I can't speak for all atheists, but I have a keyboard and some opinions. So here are my answers for five common questions Christians ask atheists.
This is basically my breakup letter to feminism. For many years, I was a feminist, but not a radical one. But radicals took over, sanity has left the building, and I am not a feminist anymore.