JESUS CHRIST: The Fulfillment of the Promises of God Part 4 of 9: The Lord our Banner
Part 4: The Lord our Banner (Jehovah-Nissi)
“19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us - by me, Silvanus, and Timothy––was not "Yes and no," but in him was "Yes." 20 For all the promises of God in him are "Yes," and in him "Amen," to the glory of God through us.” (2Corinthians 1:19-20 EMTV)
The name Jehovah refers to God in covenant relation to His people: God’s characteristics toward His people. God is Jehovah to us through the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Perhaps the title Jehovah or YHWH (Hebrew) is best understood as given in Genesis 21:33 “the everlasting God.” Jehovah is the same forever toward His people. Malachi 3:6a reads, “For I am the LORD (Jehovah), I change not;”
God is Jehovah toward His people. He never changes in who He is toward His people. The Jehovah titles in this series of hubs describe who God is toward His people.
Jehovah-Nissi is the third of the Jehovah titles used in the scriptures. It means Jehovah our banner, signal or sign, declaring victory over the enemy. It is used only once – Exodus 17:15. See verses 8-16. Amalek came and fought against God’s covenant people. In other words Amalek came against Jehovah God. Jehovah promised to wipe out the enemies of His people. While the Old Covenant writings communicate physical enemies, the New Covenant writings teach us that our enemies are spiritual:
- Ephesians 6:12: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places."
Jehovah-Nissi is our banner ensuring our victory over our enemies:
Isaiah 11:10: "And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse [referring to Christ], which shall stand for an ensign [or banner] of the people; to it [the banner, Christ, the guarantee of victory] shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious"
Christ was promised to stand as an "ensign" (a signal/banner) by whom God's people would have rest from their enemies and all disharmony. Isaiah foretells of the promised Messiah, the glorious victory, and the rest for God's people that this Anointed One (the Christ) would bring.
Mankind’s complete deliverance from all our enemies is promised to be manifested through the Messiah, the Christ. This has been the ultimate promise through the Christ as given in the very first promise in the Bible, Genesis 3:15 – the enemy will be destroyed.
- “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” (Genesis 3:15 AV)
- See also; Matthew 25:31-46, 2 Thessalonians. 1:4-10, 2:7-8, Revelation 20:7-15
- “And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” (Romans 16:20 EMTV)
- “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” (Revelation 20:10 ASV)
“Jehovah-Nissi” also teaches us that one day Satan and his cohorts will one day never again cause us affliction and suffering:
- “3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He shall dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them. 4 And He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying out; neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things have passed away." 5 Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new/ "And He said to me, "Write, for these words are faithful and true."" (Revelation 21:3-5 EMTV)
What about during this age? Jesus Christ has already defeated the adversary and his cohorts. Christians can walk in this completed authority and victory:
- “To this end was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.” (1John 3:8b ASV)
- “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death he might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil,” (Hebrews 2:14 RSV)
- v. 15 “And the hostile princes and rulers He shook off from Himself, and boldly displayed them as His conquests, when by the Cross He triumphed over them.” WEYMOUTH
- “And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against (overcome) it.” (Matthew 16:18 ASV)
- “and he put all things in subjection under his feet, and gave him to be head over all things to the church,” (Ephesians 1:22 ASV)
- What are we to do with this information? Trust it to be true. Keep putting it on. It is our shield against all the fiery darts, attacks, of the evil one:
- “withal taking up the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil [one].” (Ephesians 6:16 ASV)
- “12 The night is far spent, and the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk becomingly, as in the day; not in revelling and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and jealousy. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to [fulfil] the lusts [thereof].” (Romans 13:12-14 ASV)
In the end Satan will be completely crushed under our feet, the feet of the body of Christ. Yet, Jesus Christ has already defeated the devil by the cross by having paid for every sin which could otherwise be held against us. Now the devil has no leverage against us. His only tactic left is to keep us from realizing his defeat. He attempts to accomplish this bluff by overwhelming us with contrary information to that which is true in Christ. Truth still stands. The devil is a defeated foe.
Jehovah-Nissi, the Lord is our Banner In Christ Jesus, ensuring our victory over our enemies. For all the promises of God in him are "Yes," and in him "Amen," to the glory of God."
More by this Author
LIFE... to its fullest potential!
We will be seeing in this series that God is the same powerful and delivering God that we read about in the Old Testament. All the promises of God find their “yes” and “amen” in Jesus Christ....