JESUS CHRIST: The Fulfillment of the Promises of God Part 8 of 9: The Lord is There
Part 8: The Lord is There (Jehovah-Shammah)
“19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us - by me, Silvanus, and Timothy––was not "Yes and no," but in him was "Yes." 20 For all the promises of God in him are "Yes," and in him "Amen," to the glory of God through us.” (2Corinthians 1:19-20 EMTV)
God is in covenant relation to us, His people. His title used in the scriptures which shows this covenant relation is Jehovah. God is Jehovah to us through the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Genesis 21:33 declares Jehovah as “the everlasting God.” Jehovah is the same forever toward his people. Malachi 3:6a reads, “For I am the LORD (Jehovah), I change not;”
Jehovah-Shammah is the seventh of the Jehovah titles used in the scriptures. It means Jehovah is present, or there. It is used only once – Ezekiel 48:35, where the Lord God says that it shall be the name of the city Jerusalem.
- “The circumference of the city shall be 18,000 cubits. And the name of the city from that time on shall be, The LORD is there.” (Ezekiel 48:35 ESV)
God, as Jehovah, chooses where he is present. In this record, for the Children of Israel, Jehovah was to be present in the city of Jerusalem.
Our God is There (present, not absent).
- Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
- Hebrews 13:5 “for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
OLD TESTAMENT RECORDS OF GOD’S PRESENCE:
Exodus 33:12-17 ASV “12 And Moses said unto Jehovah, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found favor in my sight. 13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found favor in thy sight, show me now thy ways, that I may know thee, to the end that I may find favor in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. 14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. 15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16 For wherein now shall it be known that I have found favor in thy sight, I and thy people? is it not in that thou goest with us, so that we are separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth? 17 And Jehovah said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken; for thou hast found favor in my sight, and I know thee by name.”
- 1Chronicles 16:27 "Glory and honour are in his presence; strength and gladness are in his place."
- Psalms 16:11 "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."
- Psalms 51:11 "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."
- Psalms140:13 "Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence."
Other insights on the presence of God would be found in studying the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy of Holies in the Old Testament and the book of Hebrews.
NEW TESTAMENT RECORDS OF GOD’S PRESENCE:
- John 14:23 "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."
- Acts 10:38 “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.”
- John 3:2 “The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him."
- John 14:11-17 “11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake. 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”
- Ephesians 2:19-22 "19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit." (see also 1Corinthians 3:16, 2Corinthians 6:16)
God’s presence represents today what it represented throughout the Old Testament; His mercy, His grace, His goodness, His provision, His power and authority; and therefore, His victory, etc. Today, it is through the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ that God is present with us, even IN us, by way of the gift of holy spirit. God is working to unleash His very nature through us so that He would be known for who He is. Ephesians 2:22 proclaims that we are God's habitation, His dwelling place. God is not "somewhere out there", He has made is home in us, the body of Christ. We are His "holy temple". God is present indeed!
More by this Author
As believers we believe God. We received our new life in Christ by faith and we walk in it by faith. We allow what God says is true about us to be that which determines how we see ourselves and each other.
We will be seeing in this series that God is the same powerful and delivering God that we read about in the Old Testament. All the promises of God find their “yes” and “amen” in Jesus Christ....
LIFE... to its fullest potential!