Mantras of Lord Dhanvantari - The Celestial Healer
Lord Dhanvantri Maha Mantra and Meaning
Hindus know Dhanwantari as the celestial healer and physician of the Gods. Lord Dhanwantari is regarded as the god of ayurvedic medicine in the Hindu religion. He is thereby the father of medical science. Lord Dhanwantari is an Avatar of Lord Maha Vishnu and is often depicted as dark complexioned strong man with a broad chest carrying a jug containing the nectar of immortality and wearing yellow clothes. According to Bhagavatam he was also garlanded with flowers and his fully decorated with various ornaments. He is also depicted in his four-armed form holding the Sudarsana Chakra and Conch in the upper right and lefts hands. In the other two hands he carries a pot containing the nectar of immortality and a herb. According to Hindu Puranas Lord Dhanvantari emerged from the ocean of milk with a pot of Amrit when it was churned by Gods and Demons. He is also called Sudhapani, which means 'carrying nectar in his hands'.
Dhanwantari is also said to have made an appearance in the Dwapar Yuga, two billion years ago. He appeared again as the son of King Dirghatamas of Kasi as the answer for his penance for a son. He is said to have prepared the samhitas on Ayurveda in eight divisions for the benefit of humanity. Lord Dhanvantari's teachings are recorded in the Agni Purana 279-289 as well as through the teachings of His disciple Susrutha. Dhanvantari is worshipped in Hindu households on Dhantrayodashi or Dhanteras which is the first day of Diwali. This day is considered very auspicious day to buy gold and silver jewelry, vehicles etc. Devotees worship Lord Dhanvantari to seek his blessings for sound health. He is also a much revered God of Ayurvedic Practitioners and Healers. Given below is his Maha Mantra which can be used to pray to Dhanvantari for improved or good health for self and for others.
"Om Namo Bhagavate
Amrutha Kalasa Hasthaaya
Sarva Bhaya Vinasaya
Sarva Roka Nivaranaya
Thri Lokya Pathaye
Thri Lokya Nithaye
Sri Maha Vishnu Swarupa
Sri Dhanvantri Swarupa
Sri Sri Sri
Aoushata Chakra Narayana Swaha"
Meaning: We pray to the God, who is known as Sudarshana Vasudev Dhanvantari who holds the pot full of the nectar of immortality. Lord Dhanvantri removes all fears and removes all diseases and is the well wisher and the preserver of the three worlds like Lord Vishnu who is empowered to heal the Jiva souls. We bow to you.
Given below are the short mantras and Gayatri Mantra of Lord Dhanvantri.
Short Mantras and Gayathri Mantras of Lord Dhanvantari
Given below are the short Mantras and Gayathri Mantras of Lord Dhanvantari.
Om Dhanvantaraye Namah
Om Shri Dhanvantre Namah
Dhanwantari Gayatri Mantras
Om tat purushaaya vidmahae
Amritha kalasa hastaaya dheemahi
Tanno Dhanvantri prasodayaat
Om aadivaidhyaaya vidmahae
Arogya anugrahaaya dheemahi
Tanno dhanvantri prasodayaat
The above given healing mantras can be chanted for good health and wellness of self or others.
Famous Dhanvantari Temples
There are many Temples dedicated to Dhanvantari. Given below are some of them.
- Thevalakkadu Sree Dhanwanthari Temple, Kottayam, Kerala
- Sree Dhanvanthari temple, Cherthala, Kerala
- Prayikkara Dhanvantari Kshetram, Mavelikkara, Kerala
- Nelluvaya Sree Dhanwanthari Temple, Thrissur, Kerala
- Thottuva Dhanwanthari temple, Kerala
- Dhanvantri Temple, Walajapet , Velore District, Tamil Nadu
- Wadakkanchery Sree Dhanwanthari Temple, Thrissur, Kerala
- Chirakkal Sree Dhanwanthari Temple, Valapattanam
- Sree Dhanwanthari Temple, Thalayolapparambu, Kottayam
- Chathamangalam Sree Dhanwanthari Narasimha Temple, Kozhikkode
- Aanakkal Dhanwanthari Temple, Thaniyathukunnu, Thrissur
- Sree Dhanwantari Mandir, Ramanathapuram, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Dhanvantari Kshetram in Peroorkkada, Trivandrum
- Thottuva Dhanvanthari Temple, Perumbavoor, Ernakulam District
- Pulamanthol Sri Rudra Dhanwanthari temple, Malappuram District
- Shree Dhanvantari Madir, Jalgaon, Maharashtra
- Shree Dhanvantari Temple, Nellore, Andhrapradesh
- Dhanvantari Temple, Porur Chennai
- Sri Mahadhanvantari Narayana Temple, Kudugere Village, Bangalore
© 2009 Anamika S
More by this Author
Planet Jupiter is known as Guru or Brihaspati in Vedic Astrology. Given are Significance of Guru in Horoscope, Brihaspathi Mahadasha, Remedies to please Jupiter, Mantras and mantra chanting video.
The planet Saturn is Shani in Vedic astrology. Shani Dev rewards or punishes us based on our karmas. The effects of Saturn, Shani Shanti Mantra and other mantras, Shani Graha remedies, and Maha Dasha.
Every man wants good wife, but many women do not know what qualities or virtues she should have to be the ideal and perfect ones. Here are 12 of them.