Nuwaubianism is a term used to describe the teachings of Malachi Z. York. The Nuwaubians, though they call themselves a fraternity, not a religion, follow beliefs that are heavily influenced by a wide variety of different religions and philosophies.
The Nuwaubians began as a Black Muslim group in the 1970s, in New York. Over the years their teachings have gone through many changes. In 1993, they established a headquarters in Georgia, where they built their own holy land called Tama-Re, Egypt of the West. It contains a beautiful Egyptian-style temple, a pyramid, living quarters for the followers, and many other Egypt-inspired structures and sculptures.
Unfortunately, not much evidence remains of Tama-Re's existence other than photographs. When York was sentenced to 135 years in prison for sexual molestation of several children if his followers (a common practice among cult leaders), racketeering and financial reporting fraud in 2004, the property was acquired by the government. Most of Tama-Re has since been demolished.
The teachings of Malachi York were very bizarre. York was believed by his followers to be a living god. He has also claimed to be channeling divine spirits, and an extraterrestrial teacher from the planet Risq. One of York's central teaching was that the devil himself had cast a spell on black people years ago to brainwash them into racial indifference and spiritual ignorance through the media. He also taught that the black race was superior to whites, who were created as a race of killers to serve as an army to blacks.
Some other bizarre teachings of Malachi York include:
- The Earth is hollow, and some chambers in the Egyptian pyramids lead to a subterranean world, where different species of people live.
- Every human is conceived as a twin, but only one survives in the womb to be born. If the afterbirth is not buried, Satan could steal it and use it to make a mass of clones.
- Some aborted fetuses survive the abortion process and live in the sewers, where they are being gathered to take over the world.
- Every person has seven clones.
- At one time, only women existed, until they invented men by genetic mutation.
- Fish evolved into birds, not reptiles.
- The dinosaurs evolved into extraterrestrials; the grey aliens that are blamed for abductions.
Some of the followers of Nuwaubianism are still active today, fighting for their leader to be released from prison. Others have moved on to bigger and better things, trying to forget the brainwashing and abuse that happened inside Nuwaubianism and Tama-Re. In my eyes, Nuwaubianism has become just another example of a cult, which inevitably led to its own destruction.
More by this Author
Philosophy of religion is, in the simplest terms, the study of religious thought. Philosophers of religion seek to answer some very important questions that have been around since the dawn of time and continue to be...
A brief tour of the most commonly used religious symbols, and what they mean to those who use them.
101 great words and phrases you can use to avoid cussing! Actually, these are arguably better, more interesting, more creative, and far more insulting than any of those cliche old four letter words.