"One-Liners" That Just May Change Your Life
What is the Power of ONE?
One "aha!" moment?
"If I give you a cow, you starve. If I give you a small piece of meat, you can eat."
(I think I made that up just now but if it's lodged in my brain from hearing it long ago, then I credit it to the unknown author). The point being, this Hub is dedicated to the "small pieces of meat"--not to the cows.
There is a simplicity in life that reveals itself if we are willing to take a shovel and remove all of the complex debris that seems to pile up in our lives. These are simple one-liners that go quite deep. They are easy to understand, easy to remember, but not so easy to apply.
I have tried to arrange them in categories:
1) Simple Wisdom
2) Simple Relationships
3) Simple Prayers
I will add to this Hub every time new "one'rs" (I just made that up) come to mind, so be sure to check back from time to time and for updates!
Many of the most profound things I have ever heard fit into the space of one sentence. I hope there is at least one thing on this list that is a one-liner-life-changer!
- "Jesus offers invitations, not manipulations."
- "On the other side of "time" is "out of time." What you do with your "time" is what you'll end up with when you are "out of time."
- "The hole dug in the heart by sorrow makes room for a well of joy."
- "It is often through great loss that I discover the greatest find."
- "Would I love you if I had to?"
- "What precious commodity can each person give away, no matter who he or she is? Time!"
- "Sometimes today needs to be a bad day so you'll be motivated to make tomorrow better."
- "Are you like the Sadducees? Questioning everything and believing nothing."
- "Are you like the Pharisees? Thinking you know everything but missing the main thing."
- "People may get offended by TRUTH, but TRUTH doesn't get offended by people."
- "If you don't like the way you feel, change the way you think!"
- "If you have an addictive personality, get addicted to something good, so that when something bad comes along, it won't be a temptation."
- "If people don't sleep, they die. So go ahead and take a nap!"
- "Sometimes it is the empty hands in the act of surrender that creates space for you to receive."
- "The more you try to control things, the less you are truly free."
- Our greatest freedom is CHOICE. Use it wisely, for although you get to use it first, you will have to pay for it later.
- Instead of materialism, get caught up in immaterialism. That which cannot be seen often carries much greater value--and its the only thing that can pass from this life to the next.
Sometimes love is really just as easy as keeping your mouth closed--saying "I'm sorry"--or taking an extra 5 minutes out of your day to wash a dish, make a cup of coffee, or give your loved one a hug. I'm sure you will find a a dash of humor here and there in some of these--but you know why it's funny, right? Because it's true! Enjoy...
- "Do you judge how good a cake tastes while it's still in the oven? Guess what? I'm still cooking!"
- "Sometimes I really do have a good reason for being crabby—and sometimes I don't."
- "Whenever you tell me not to nag, the probability increases."
- "If I don't love myself, then I can't love you."
- "If you are supposed to love me above all else, then be selective with your words."
- "We are two sandpaper statues, dancing through life together, making each other smooth."
- "Just because you think you should, doesn't mean you should."
- "Sometimes you love me with your presence—sometimes you love me with your absence—and sometimes you just need to love me with common sense."
- "If I like coffee, you should buy me a cup once in a while."
- "I forgive you because it's good—not because it feels good."
- "Just let me angry for a minute--then I'll be nice."
- "Just because you're talking, doesn't mean you're communicating."
- "When your preferences become more important than your partner's, you are no longer operating in love."
- "The truth brings light--humility brings love--do not forsake one for the other."
- "If we can make it through the darkest nights of our relationships, when it seems that all hope is lost, then we will be there to celebrate the victory, that in the morning, will be within our reach."
- "Time is the necessary ingredient that without, maturity cannot occur."
- "What is your focus? What you see is what you'll get--look for the best in others and it will be their best that you will attract."
- "I knew I'd like you again if I just had a good attitude and let a little time go by..."
- "Make up your mind ahead of time how you will respond, then in the heat of the moment, you can take your own advice."
- "Choose the path of love. If you walk down that path, your partner will likely join you."
- "When your spouse does something helpful, show appreciation. 'Thank you' will yield better long-term results than 'It's about time!'"
- "If your relational stance is to defend your rights, you probably won't be able to see the other's needs."
- "Often times we react, then we think about it, and in the process bypass listening. Try listening, thinking, and then responding."
I recently wrote about a man by the name of George Muller who, in his lifetime, received millions of dollars through prayer alone. He never asked anybody for money or even made others aware of his needs! He took each and every need he had to God and to God alone. There are countless stories of how George Muller prayed for food, and bread showed up on his step a few minutes later; or of how he prayed for money to open a school, and people would approach him with money saying, "God told me to give this to you." But just as impressive as George Muller's life are the prayers that he prayed. They were not long or fancy. He did not use complicated words or exquisite vocabulary. He did not pray as a nervous child, stammering and trying to find "just the right words to convince Dad." George was a simple man and his prayers were simple too. There is something truly divine about this kind of prayer. There is something powerful to the prayers of the child-like. During my prayer time in recent weeks, I have found that many of my prayers are becoming more and more simple. And the things I sense God telling me tend to be quite simple, too! I'm not saying that simple is best—its just that it is often overlooked and undervalued.
- "Dear God, Don't let me ruin today by worrying about tomorrow."
- "Dear God, I can't do this. Will you help?"
- "Dear God, you're the one that made me so you're the one that's going to have to fix me!"
- "God, how can you be so unfair? Nobody deserves your most precious gift, yet you give it freely to all?"
- "God, I thought I was right. But I was wrong."
- "God, since you already know, I guess I'll just be honest…"
- "God, since you are the stronger one, I'll let you carry the heavy stuff."
- "God, teach me what is your part and what is my part and show me quickly when I try to do that which is yours or fail to do that which is mine."
- "With all this noise, how will I ever hear your still, small voice? Help me find a quiet place or please speak louder. Thank you!"
- "Jesus--where are you going and can I come with?"
- "Holy Spirit--expose what is false and reveal what is true."
- "Jesus, let me hide in you."
- "Jesus, help me to live the reality of what it means to be seated with you in heavenly places."
- "I pray for those who persecute me--get 'em with your love God!"
- CRY (today my prayer came through noises and tears and heart--sometimes more powerful than words!)
Have Something to Add?
Do you have a pearl of wisdom "one-liner" that you want to share? Leave it in the comments section!
More by this Author
What do women want? How can a husband better love his wife? This article offers tips on what men can do to better understand, love, and respond to their wives. This advice will help improve your marriage.
- 20George Muller: A Biographical Summary of the Man Who Fed Orphans and Received Millions by Prayer Alone
When I think about George Muller, the story that comes to mind is when those that ran the orphanage he started came to him one day, anxious because they had no food left to feed the children. George calmly told them to...
“If, then, you sometimes fall, do not lose heart, or cease striving to make progress, for even out of your fall God will bring good, just as a man selling an antidote will drink poison before he takes it in order...