Raining Cats and Dogs: Flightless Animal Rain
Rain Rain Go Away
Though the idiom it's raining cats and dogs is only meant to describe a heavy downpour or flash flood it seems that animals have rained from the sky in the past. What is animal rain? Well it is a rare meteorological event in which animals that do not fly fall or rain from above. One explanation for these strange occurrences is that strong winds or water spouts suck up large amounts of water over the ocean, rivers, lakes, and streams and with the water take up any life in the area the water spout traverses over. These creatures can be carried aloft on strong updrafts inland for many miles and then rain over land where they are witnessed by people.
Historical Animal Rains
Recorded Historical Fish and Toad Rains:
- 1555 engraving of rain of fish
- Singapore, February 22, 1861
- Olneyville, Rhode Island, May 15, 1900
- Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, July 1, 1903
- Marksville, Louisiana, October 23, 1947
- Bhanwad, Jamnagar, India, Oct 24, 2009
- Lajamanu, Northern Territory, Australia, February 25 and 26, 2010
- Kerala, India, February 12, 2008
- Loreto, Agusan del Sur, Philippines, January 13, 2012
Frogs and toads
- Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan, June 2009 (Occurrences reported throughout the month)
- Rákóczifalva, Hungary, 18–20 June 2010 (twice)
More by this Author
The time travel story of Hakan Nordkvist. A man is whisked away to another time and reality in the future where he meets himself as an old man. It is confirmed in a video from a cell phone of his older self and him...
- 8Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires, Aliens, and Robots; Who Would Win in an All Out War Between These Titans?
By: Cow Flipper Humanity is on the jagged edge of survival in a hostile world with more cruelty than the history of earth has ever had visited upon it's face. Wars between powerful enemies wage battle to destroy one...
A look into rapid hypnotic induction, this guide demonstrates two ways to put someone into a quick trance.