Should I Raise My Child Christian?
Your a Christian...
Being a Christian parent you may be debating on whether you want to raise your child to be Christians.
The more logical answer is yes. Go ahead. Take your child to church and practice Christianity in your home.
But, I wouldn't force your children into Christianity.
There are a few different reasons as to why you may be asking yourself how you should raise your child in terms of religion.
- You're a new parent who came onto religion and Christianity later in life.
- You're already a parent and have come to religion and Christianity with older children.
- You were raised Christian and hated it as a child, but still remained Christian throughout your life.
- Your spouse is Christian and you're not.
I've seen parents force religion onto their children, and I've seen children react two different ways.
- The child will readily accept the teachings and practice them.
- The child will boycott, so to speak, and refuse what's being taught.
If you force your child to do something that he would rather not do, then you may be working in the opposite direction. Your child may chose another religion to practice, become agnostic, or become atheist.
With anyone, you want to be very careful how you approach religion and Christianity, especially with children.
With younger children, you can bring them up in a religious house, but when you, as an adult make a personal change while the child is older, you want to be careful how you go about the change.
Remember that if you force your older child to go to church and participate with discussion and family prayer, you risk causing your child to grow to hate God and religion. It all depends on your child and his personality.
So, to the question "should you raise your child Christian," that's a decision that only you can decide.
More by this Author
Learn about how your tongue piercing heals and view a variety of different pictures.
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.
Learn some of the signs of infected belly-button piercings and what to do about them.