Reflections on Christmas
Often it is heard this time of year, “What does all this hunting for trees, waiting for Santa, shopping frantically for gifts have to do with the true meaning of Christmas?”
The simple answer?
It all has to do with celebrating the “Christ-Mass”, the birth of Jesus.
The trees are evergreens, reminding us of His Gift of everlasting life. And their conical shape points our eyes heavenward, just in case we need a stronger reminder.
The giving of gifts pays tribute to the Gift He so selflessly gives us… and serves as a reminder to share our gifts with others, in thoughtful, joyous ways.
And speaking of Joy, what better way is there to promote it than with a jolly, lovable, elf-man whose only desire is to spread joy and gifts to every one, regardless of who they are, where they are, or what they believe… because even non-believers receive gifts from Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Pere Noel, Babbo Natale, Sinter Klaas, Pa Norsk, Ded Moroz, Shengdan Laoren.
But doesn’t all this get blown out of proportion? What of all those embellishments – North Pole Toy Workshop, elves, trans-global flight replete with sled and reindeer?
These all serve to put at ease inquisitive minds, to enhance and strengthen belief, so that the Joy of the Season will be welcomed by the next generation…and the next.
So, Merry Christmas to ALL.
This isn’t a greeting.
It’s an invitation… to share the Gifts Christmas makes possible.
Interesting Facts About Christmas
- First decorated tree appeared in 1510
- First mention of Christmas Tree in print was 1531
- Christmas Trees were first sold commercially in 1850 in the USA
- First commercial Christmas Tree lot was in New York in 1851
- 1882 was the first year for electric lights for Christmas Trees (the idea came from Thomas Edison's assistant)
- 1900 was the first year large stores started displaying illuminated Christmas Trees
- 25 - 30 million trees are sold in the USA each year.
- The idea of Santa Claus is based on the 4th century monk St Nicholas of Myra who was renown for his generosity -- so, Santa originally lived in Italy!
More by this Author
A compilation of the gospel accounts without verses so that it reads like a novel. A fresh, new approach to the greatest story ever told.
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. The Visitation of Mary Gabriel was sent...
No comments yet.