Songs and Soul: A Spiritual Experience
Spiritual Significance to Songs
Songs have visited my night dreams on a regular basis for almost five years now. Most of the songs are known songs already performed by artists, but some are entirely unheard of. These unheard of pieces consists of songs with lyrics, marches, or plain instrumental jamming. If I could remember them when I wake up, I could probably make a living out of writing songs!
I have asked people everywhere whether they have had the experience of dreaming of songs in their sleep. The answer has always been in the negative.
However, I still believe there is a small percentage of the population who do. The Hyperdictionary Dream dictionary, regarding dreaming of 'song' gives the following for a meaning:
"Hearing or write [sic] songs in your dream indicates that you are looking at things from a spiritual viewpoint. Your future path is a happy one with good health and much wealth. Consider the words to the song that you are dreaming about for additional messages."
For me, I believe dreaming of songs, or for that matter hearing songs from out of the blue, is a communication---through the soul---from the Divine and/or the departed.
Songs to me have, thus, taken a spiritual significance .
Since I am in my golden year, in terms of chronological age, let me list down 50 song titles or lyrics that I have dreamt of, at least once:
(Titles are in normal font; lyrics are in quotes.)
A. From the Divine or the Universe
1. "Oh can't you see? You belong to me? ..." / Every Breathe You Take
2. "And when I hold you in my arms I promise you.
You're gonna feel a love that's beautiful and new... " / Starting Over Again
3. "On the day that you were born the angels got together,
And decided to create a dream come true ... " / Close to You
4. "Trust in You with all of my heart,
To lean not on my own understanding ..." / Take Me Out of the Dark
5. Lord's Prayer
6. Agnus Dei
7. Lamb of God
B. From the Departed (e.g. Beloved, Friends, Father, Grandparents)
8. "Today while the blossoms still cling to the vine ..."
9. "There are times when I just want to feel your embrace, on a cold, cold night ..."
10. " ... devoted to you. I'll never hurt you, I'll never lie. I'll never be untrue ..."
11. "You're the meaning in my life. You're the inspiration ..."
12. "Is this the train to desert moon? is all she said ..."
13. "And now you're suddenly like a stranger. And you're leaving it all behind ..."
14. "Are you the one for me? Should I leave her behind?"
15. "I'll be by your side every moment. I will take care of you for life."
16. "My love, there's only you in my life. The only thing that's right."
17. "I can hear the sound of violins, long before it begins ..."
18. "For this dark and lonely room projects a shadow cast in gloom ..."
19. "I've been praying all my life to be with you, to have you by my side ..."
20. "Every night in my dreams, I see you I feel you
That is how I know you go on."
21. "Time goes by so slowly and time can do so much ... Are you still mine?"
(These last two songs' lyrics have a particularly soulful significance!)
22. "Love, soft as an easy chair ...
One love that is shared by two ... Ageless and ever evergreen."
23. "That everywhere I go, I'm never lonely. With her along, who could be lonely?"
24. "Heaven on earth, every time I kiss you, happiness when I look upon your face"
25. "You are everything to me. ... A beautiful memory,
A yesterday when we were always together"
26. "You gave me a reason for my being. And I've gone beyond existence ..."
27. "The closer I get to touching you, the closer I get to loving you
Cause every time I close my eyes you come alive ..."
28. "Now hold me in your arms like a bunch of flowers
... Loving you's the right thing to do"
29. "Babe, I'm leavin', I must be on my way"
30. "And now I'm falling, falling, catch me if you can ..."
31. "The daylight's fading slowly. The time with you is standing still ..."
32. "Don't forget our song. I promise to listen to it always ..."
33. "You think the only people who are people
Are the people who walk and think like you ..."
34. "Forever, I'll be yours forever you're mine ... Forever."
35. "Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me ..."
36. "In heaven, there's a meeting place. And there I'll be waiting"
37. "Don't you worry about people hanging around. They ain't bringing us down..."
38. "If it's true you're making a slave of me, everything I do is all because of you ..."
39. "Once I was afraid I was petrified.
Thinking I could never leave without you by my side ..."
40. "Light oh light, in a cold, cold night ..."
41. "Shadows grow so long before my eyes. And they're moving across the page ..."
42. "And it's all behind us now cause we've learned somehow to live without each other ..."
43. "Tell me when is love wrong? ... Don't let go to heaven we will go ..."
44. "Highway run into the midnight sun. Wheels go round and round,
You're on my mind ..."
45. "Don't know what to do whenever you are near. Don't know what to say ..."
46. "Some people want diamond rings. Some just want everything
But everything means nothing, if I ain't got you ... "
47. "Come to see victory in a land called fantasy
Loving life for you and me. To behold to your soul it's ecstasy ... "
And last but not the least, which I dreamt of sleeping after this weekend's night out:
48. "And if you go and leave me, this I swear is true
My love will always be with you ... "
49. "I can't keep my eyes on the road knowing that she's inches from me ... "
50. "Your dreams will all come true. Right behind you is where I'll always be ..."
You may have noticed the songs spanning four generations, feasibly some even composed in the 20's. This makes it even more intriguing as the chances for my having heard them recently are so slim. These olds songs are no longer being played anywhere. My guess is that during sleep, our individual unconscious which is part of the collective unconscious, is able to communicate through our soul beyond space and time.
So next time a song plays from out of the blue, pay attention to its lyrics. These may be a message of assurance from the Divine or your beloved departed ones communicating to you. You may be amazed at the deliciousness of the significance of the song to the context of your personal experiences, when taken from this perspective.
Postscript In Honor of Mother Earth and the Departed Beloved
In honor of Mother Earth for being home to my 52 years of existence on the physical plane, here are two additional songs, from the beloved departed:
52. Passenger Seat, with YouTube video below:
Please choose one below:See results without voting
From experience with the I Ching:
"With You I'm Born Again" by Billy Preston & Syreeta
Come bring me your softness
Comfort me through all this madness
Woman, don't you know, with you I'm born again
Come give me your sweetness
Now there's you, there is no weakness
Lying safe within your arms, I'm born again
I was half, not whole
In step with none
Reaching through this world
In need of one ...
From The I Ching, With You, I'm Born Again
From Kundalini, On the Wings of Love
14th of August 2013, from The Beloved: "I'm Yours"
One Heart, One Mind
2014 Birthday Gift: "I've Had the Time of My Life"
Eat, Play Love: Happy
Travel as Family Bonding Moments
"I can be anything you want me to be." - 2016 Feb 26
2016 Mar 15
... and a hub ..."-Time, Love and Tenderness"
More by this Author
Orion: "Since we know what went wrong in the past and applied the fix, we can now give the Children back their dreams. Is this what you want, Divine?"
“I have thought for a long time, it may take forever, maybe even never, before I could see you face to face.”
Kundalini takes us on the wings of her Love, beyond our egoic personality, to see the Greatness that is within.