THE HOLY SPIRIT - FIRE (1)
The Holy Spirit is the manifestation of God and is symbolized by many images, emblems or badges and fire is one of them. God used the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament to accomplish His objectives like creation of the universe, the sun, moon, stars and man to fill the earth. He gave man the power to rule, the ability of leadership to Joshua, gigantic power to Samson. God also used the Holy Spirit to wipe out His enemies who defied Him and last but not least the power to interpret dreams like Daniel.
HOLY SPIRIT AS SYMBOLISM OF FIRE
Fire has heat and can burn anything that is made of material. Isaiah 4:4 describes symbolically the burning of the daughters of Zion by the spirit of judgment and the spirit of burning.
FIRE AS AN INSTRUMENT OF DIVINE JUDGMENT
The Lord uses fire from heaven to destroy the disobedient nations like Sodom and Gomorrah in the Old Testament. In the New Testament God also destroyed the city of Pompei in Italy and the ruins are a tourist attraction to many who visit Italy. It was a warning sign of the wrath of God, but the people still do not heed the tremendous significance of His great fury and rage. The anger of God is completly justified and not the best lawyer in the world can win against God's judgment.
- When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of burning.
God punished the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah because of their unrepentent sins. The two cities were completly destroyed and levelled to the ground. No one escape from the disaster.
- Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven.
- And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.
- But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, ...
HOLY FIRE AS A PURIFIER
The Holy Spirit acts as a purifier cleansing all impurities till all are gone. Likewise God may cleanse or purify man as silver and gold are polished till they shine. The purifying goes through different processes till the task is complete. Man born of woman is sinful from the very beginning. He inherited this from his ancestors, Adam and Eve and needs to be purified before he can meet with God. Silver and gold are refined through many stages and men go through various stages of refinement. Slowly they are changed like Paul and Peter till they meet with God's standard of righteousness. They would meet with trials and tribulations and then come out like pure gold that shines brightly used to be used by the master.
- But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, like fullers' soap:
- And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
- And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried:
1 Corinthians 3:13
- Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1 Peter 1:7
- That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. Peter 1:7
SYMBOL OF THE DIVINE PRESENCE AND POWER
The Holy Spirit represents the presence and power of the majestic God coming with His chariots of tremendous speed like a tornado sweeping and toppling and burning anything evil in His sight. In a swift sweep nothing will be left like Sodom and Gormmorah in the Old Testament.
Similarly Jerusalem was completely wiped out seventy years after Jesus died and for about two thousand years there was no trace of the land of Israel. Jesus allowed the enemies to annihilate the Israelites. The Jews paid dearly for disobeying God and not repenting. From 70 AD until 1948 AD did God allow Israel to exist as a nation!
- For behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
- And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire,and it sat upon each of them.
- And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sinai an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush.
- For our God is a consumIng fire.
FIRE HAS TREMENDOUS HEAT
The first believers were fervent because the Holy Spirit filled them with heat or fervency for the Lord. They had all things in common for they sold all their possessions and shared everything. Believers were added to the church daily.
Acts 2: 44-47
- And all that believed were together and had all things common
- And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
- And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house. did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart.
- Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
- But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones.
FIRE CAN MELT THINGS
The Holy Spirit can burn away filth caused by accumulated sins through the days of our lives. Through the melting of filth we become purer and more acceptable to God. It can fuse all the believers of Jesus Christ into one body of Christ with one mind and one soul which is pleasing in His sight.
1 Corinthians 12:13
- For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
God uses the Holy Spirit as fire to achieve many objectives according to His will. Three things are accomplished namely fire as (1) heat making believers fervent, (2) light to shine into the hearts of believers so that they reflect the goodness and righteousness of God and (3) fire can melt the hearts of the members into one mind cleansing all sins, filth and uncleanliness.
GOD'S MANIFESTATION: HOLY SPIRIT (SYMBOLISM) (2) FIRE
THE HOLY SPIRIT - FIRE (1)
Do you believe that fire is a symbol of the Holy Spirit? Can you relate to it?See results without voting
© 2013 einron
More by this Author
God would not prolong everyone's life when asked. He did it to Hezekiah because he did what was right in God's eyes. God rewards some cases. Honouring parents will be rewarded in length of days. Those who keep the...
Aloe vera was used for embalming Jesus. Aloe vera is considered beneficial for the immune system. The three main categories of research include anti-inflammatory, anti- bacterial, and anti-viral actions of Aloe...
Purdue researchers found that leaves from the Graviola tree killed six human-cell lines. Especially effective against prostate and pancreatic cancer cells. Read why big pharmaceutical companies do not manufacture...