Who is the Most Influential Archangel?
The Most Influential Archangel
Who do you think is the most influential Archangel? Is it the archangel Michael, or perhaps one of the other archangels; Raphael, Gabriel, Uriel, or Raguel? Protestant Christian believers believe there are two, main archangels of the bible, Michael and Gabriel. The Roman Catholic faithful believe there to be at least three to four archangels existing in heaven. They are Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, and Raphael.
- The angel Raphael is mentioned in the Book of Tobit. You can find the Book of Tobit in the Canonical Catholic bible or Eastern Orthodox Christian bible.
- Since the Book of Tobit is considered an Apocrypha text to most Protestant Christians, it is not found in the King James biblical version. It was completely removed from the King James bible in the fifteenth century ce.
The Seven Archangels +1
The Islamic religion recognizes four archangels; Gabriel, Michael, Raphael and Azrael.
- Azrael is known to them as the Angel of Death.
To my knowledge there are no explicit references supporting the word archangel in the texts of the Old Testament. Despite those facts, according to the Kabbalah, an early Jewish collection of oral traditions, and the Book of Enoch, (Enoch is Noah's Grandfather) there are at least seven prominent angels known as archangels by God.
The names of these seven are:
- Michael - he is God's right hand, considered to be the most fiercest angel. He is God's warrior. Michael's actual title, according to the book of Enoch, is Archistratege . Michael is believe to be stationed on the tenth plain/level of heaven called Aravoth. Enoch describes the Archistratege as the "Commander of the Armies of the Nations of God."
- Gabriel - she, yes that is right..., Gabriel is considered to be God's messenger.
- Raphael - is known as God's healer.
- Uriel - known to Enoch as Adoil, considered to be the Light of God. However, God never calls Uriel an angel, let alone an archangel. The text on Uriel simply states that God called on Uriel, who carried a huge belly of light.
- Raguel - sometimes spelled Raguil , his name means "Friend of God." Raguel was one of the two angels that accompanied Enoch on his heavenly adventure. In the Book of Enoch these two angels are clearly distinguish as only "angels." (The Book of Enoch, Chp. 33)
- Remiel - is a unique angel. His name means by some definitions "Thunder of God" or "Mercy of God." Remiel's role in heaven is to stand and watch or guard. His actual title is "Grigori" according to Enoch's writings.
- Sarguel - sometimes known as Suriel in Judaic customs, is the archangel sent to recover Moses's soul in hell. His name means "Command of God." He literally does what Gods commands, and sees to it that Gods commandments are kept. He is believed to be one of the seven guardian angels to earth.
Since I have read the Book of Enoch several times, I find it to be of interest that the archangel Pravuil, is not considered one of the seven angels listed. I think this is a huge blunder on the part of past biblical scholars. Especially since these are the very same angels, whom Enoch meets while he is in heaven, and later writes about in one of his epigrams authored by the archangel Pravuil and himself.
Even today, if someone wanted to know how biblical lore on angels came to be, they would only need to the Book of Enoch. Which ironically was purposely left out of the bible, because of it's explosive descriptions of God, his angels, and of heaven and hell. Interestingly enough, this ancient uncanonized, Jewish, text is actually part of the canonical text of the Ethiopian Orthodox Old Testament. Which dates back to the time of King Solomon, and his first born son Menelik. Menelik, was King Solomon and Queen Sheba's only son, and later became King of Ethiopia.
I am not sure who is the most influential angel. I actually have a hard time recognizing angels, or believing in angel mythology. There is such a fine line between "worshiping" and "recognizing" people..., angels..., Gods......, in a monotheistic faith such as mine. Over time, and throughout the history of mankind, God has stated to (all) his followers, his strict rules governing the subjects of idolatry, animal sacrifices, and worship. He clearly states that we are not to put false gods before him. God personally tells Enoch not to make sacrifices to him anymore, and nor should he allow his kin folk to worship any other gods before him (God). God, also tells Enoch (and Moses) that he will condemn and convict idolators and sodomite fornicators.
God calls Enoch his intercessor. The act of Intercession, gets its meaning from the Book of Enoch. He was mankind's first, real, ambassador to God. The idea of praying as a group on something with global consequences- such as praying for people after an earthquake, comes from the very notion of Enoch's intercessory relationship with God. Maybe we all are archangels of God's.
"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."— Pope Leo XIII
"I pray to you to assist me as I develop the strength to carry out my life's mission. Please send your strengthening energy to help me to live life with courage and love for myself and all humanity. With your guidance I will strive to fulfill my purpose and assist others on their journey. This I ask of you through Christ, Amen."
Summary of Great Angelic Hubs
- A First Intimate Evolution
Blogpage A First is a reflection of different firsts such as first impressions, first glances, and anything that has been a first. Interesting, fun and entertaining.
- Angels in Western Culture - A Short History of Angel...
Angels have been seen and documented by humans since the dawn of civilization. The archtype of communication between mortals and the divine, angels, or angelic type forms exist in almost every religion and culture. Here is a short background of the h
- Summoning angels and archangels for help
The first time I heard anybody talk to ''angels'' was when my partner casually asked them to find her a parking space. I thought she was bonkers. Totally crazy. Away with the fairies. How on earth were some...
- How to Summon Your Guardian Angel
This is a true story. I read an article about guardian angels in the papers sometime in 1998. I found the story very interesting that is why I was able to commit this to memory. The author is a girl studying...
More by this Author
Learn the intriguing details surrounding Jesus Christ and his twin brother Jude. Find the complete Gospel of Thomas recited on video, in this thought provoking article.
Learn the exact order of the Celestial hierarchy, and how to invoke the powers of Angels. The names and prayer to invoke strength or love; and the body healing angels, who guarded Christ in his tomb.
Learn what works and what doesnt work for skinny brides. See firsthand gorgeous wedding dresses, which flatter slimmer built women and thin brides.