Proverb:The Power of Words - Watching What You Speak
Most people do not know words have power. The words we speak can heal a person’s heart or tear (break) it apart. The Bible clearly states the words we speak can bless a person and at the same time curse a person who has been made in the image of God.
The tongue is the most powerful tool. It is important to learn how to control it at all times. Remember, God created the world – all we can see and cannot – by uttering words. He said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. In fact, the Bible says the Word of God is like a double-edged sword.
This holds true to the words we speak. It can tear a person’s heart to the point the person is beyond repair or healing. At the same time it can heal a person’s heart when the person is discouraged, disappointed or feeling ‘low.’
An example of how words can break a person’s heart to the point it is very hard to heal the wound is the case with people who want to commit suicide or have suicidal thoughts. People, who want commit suicide do so because they feel life does not favor them – they feel unloved, unwanted, rejected and neglected and so on. If you rebuke them by saying even for you life is hard and they should stop behaving like fools or children, you have caused a lot of damage. The person will end up committing suicide. Instead, you should try to have a listening ear and know how to answer well, especially encouraging or uplifting the person’s spirit.
This is the reason why the Scriptures encourage the need to think twice before talking.
Parents should be careful to watch out what they say to their children. Calling children names and cussing them because they are rebellious, stubborn or disobedient won’t help the situation to become any better. Instead, the words become ingrained in the subconscious mind of the child and they will grow up tormented. The end result might be taking their own lives for they cannot bear anymore. Therefore, parents should watch out calling their children dogs, stupid, fools and such words. Find other ways of correcting or disciplining. Better a cane than hurting words.
Most of people’s lives have been ruined as a result of words that were spoken against them which were hurting and not true.
There is nothing worse than gossip. The Bible strongly condemns it for is the major cause of break-ups and misunderstandings.
It is for this case the Bible warns and admonishes the people of God, Christians, to be careful what they say and they should always think twice before speaking. Since the words we speak have power, we should be careful to control our tongues or else in the end we might find ourselves in the wrong-side in eternity for the simple actions we were warned against.
The following are Bible verses speaking on the importance of watching our tongues – what we say. Most of the verses about watching what we speak are from the Book of Proverbs. Proverbs is filled with timely messages on the importance of controlling our tongues.
1) Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. (Ephesians 4:29)
2) It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth. (Mathew 5:11)
3) Let your conversation be gracious and attractiveso that you will have the right response for everyone. (Colossians 4:6)
4) Wise words satisfy like a good meal; the right words bring satisfaction. The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. (Proverbs 18:20-21)
5) Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. (Proverbs 15:4)
6) Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God. After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few. Too much activity gives you restless dreams; too many words make you a fool.When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. (Ecclesiastes 5:2-4)
7) Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent. (Proverbs 17:28)
8) A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness. (Proverbs 15:1-2)
9) Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. (Proverbs 16:24)
10) Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth. (Proverbs 17:24)
11) Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut. (Proverbs 10:19)
12)Take control of what I say, O Lord, and guard my lips. (Psalms 141:3)
13) Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! (James 3:9-10)
14) Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. (Ephesians 4:29)
15) But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.(Mathew 15:18)
16) But now you must pull them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. (Colossians 3:8)
For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. (Mathew 12:37)
Power of words
More by this Author
In a fast-moving world filled with challenges, disappointments, discouragements, depression, fear, doubts among others, how can a person instill hope in another person not to give up, to persevere...
Prayer is a two-way conversation where a person prays to God who listens, and then God responds. It is a time when a person has one-on-one talk with God; then is there right way to pray to Him?
Becoming the recipient of a break up relationship is not something to smile about. The pain, the hurt-ache. They are unbearable. However, there are things you are not supposed to do after a break up.