The Real Quotes of Confucius
Chances are you have probably heard some humorous renditions of the teaching of Confucius. But did you know that Confucius was a real man? Confucius was a Chinese philosopher who lived in the late fourth and early fifth century B.C.E. He was famous political figure and one of the greatest philosophers of his time. It is said that his influence on Chinese culture is comparable to that of Socrates to Western culture. In his Analects, Confucius gives instruction for how man should live his life in an ideal society.
Some of his real quotes are:
- “The strength of a nation is derived from the integrity of its homes.”
- “Sincerity and truth are the basis of every virtue.”
- “The superior man is firm in the right way, and not merely firm.”
- “True goodness springs from a man’s own heart. All men are born good.”
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.”
- “To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.”
- “It is only the wisest and the very stupidest who cannot change.”
- “He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger!”
- “He does not preach what he practices till he has practiced what he preaches.”
- “The superior man thinks always of virtue; the common man thinks of comfort.”
- “Silence is a true friend who never betrays.”
- “To be fond of learning is to be near to knowledge.”
- “Being true to oneself is the law of God. To try to be true to oneself is the law of man.”
- “We don’t know yet about life, how can we know about death?”
- “Without knowing the force of words it is impossible to know men.”
- "The superior man has neither anxiety nor fear.”
- "They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it, and they who love it are not equal to those who delight in it.”
Confucius was one of the ancient world’s greatest thinkers. His teachings helped to form a model of the ideal Chinese society. Though, I must say, some of the humorous quotes attributed to him lately are hilarious, Confucius was a real man with great ideas for humanity.
More by this Author
Funa and simple facts about the Judaic religion.
A brief tour of the most commonly used religious symbols, and what they mean to those who use them.
101 great words and phrases you can use to avoid cussing! Actually, these are arguably better, more interesting, more creative, and far more insulting than any of those cliche old four letter words.