10 Commandments of Peace
If it be possible as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men (Romans 12:18).
In the Old Testament the word peace comes from the Hebrew word shalom and it is a condition of freedom from disturbance, whether outwardly, as of a nation from war or enemies; or inwardly within the soul(mind will emotions). One of the greatest challenges of life will be that of living at peace with one's neighbor. No matter where we go or what we do there will always be people to understand and deal with. Many times peace is disrupted because of a personality clash or disagreements, but whatever the reason we have been admonished in the word of God to live peaceably with all men. It is not always possible to do this because it takes two in agreement with each other to make it happen.
Inward peace is necessary if peace is going to be shown outwardly toward others. For example people who are worried about something have no peace inside because of the anxiety associated with the problem they are worried about. This is the case concerning the biblical account of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38. Martha had invited Jesus into her house and attempted to show hospitality toward him, but she became angry with her sister Mary because Mary did not help her serve. Martha tells Jesus to bid Mary to come and help her, but Jesus responded Martha Martha thou art troubled about many things. What Martha was worried about hindered her inward peace thereby causing her to be at odds with her sister.
Jesus told her Mary has chosen that good part that shall not be taken away from her for she sat at his feet and heard his word. Mary was in a more relaxed position because she sat at his feet and because of that she did not allow the complaints that were targeted against her by her sister to bother her. Like Mary we can remain at peace with others who try to upset us because they do not have peace inside whether in our families, jobs, churches or wherever. Staying in the word of God keeps us in a relaxed position with life as we depend on and trust his word.
The 10 Commandments of peace
Keeping the Scripture in context with Romans 12:18 we will look at verse 16 which reads be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low state be not wise in your own conceits.
If there is going to be peace between two parties one must not come up with their own conclusion in a matter. Many people rush in to judge a matter before all the facts are in and this behavior can come from prejudice, anger, someone else's opinion and a host of other things causing conflict. The Bible stresses that we are not to be wise in our own eyes according to Proverbs 3, and we are not to be wise in our own conceits according to Romans 12:16.
- Love must be the driving force that propels one until loving their enemies when wronged trusting that God will bring justice. The Bible says in Romans 12:17 to recompense to no man evil for evil, provide things honest in the sight of all men.
- One May need to review the situation honestly which may require a mediator. The Bible declares out of the mouth of two or three witnesses let every word be established.
- If peace is not possible with men we must know that all things are possible with God (Romans 12:18/ Mark 9:23).
- One must personally decide to be the initiator of peace (Romans 12:18/ Hebrews 12:14)
- one must not avenge themselves but give place for God's justice (Romans 12:19 ).
- Don't render evil for evil but do nice things toward one's enemy (Romans 12:20).
- Do not allow the wrong that a person has done toward you to consume you through constant meditation on it which then exits through verbalization. (Romans 12:21).
- Do the exact opposite of what the enemy wants to happen by submitting to God and his word (Romans 12:21 / James 4:7).
- Remember to pray for one's enemy and to do good to them that despitefully use you.(Matthew 5:44).
More by this Author
In the book of Genesis chapter one and verse twenty-eight we read...and God blessed them and said be fruitful, multiply, replenish, subdue and have dominion (Paraphrase). The blessing of the Lord is not the tangible...
Money is neither good or bad but it corresponds with a persons character meaning that the amount of money a person has will only display their character to a greater or lesser degree. If a person has a character problem...
Real love is not selfish but it is always giving: - By giving I do not mean only tangible resources, but the giving of oneself which includes time and attention. Time is more valuable than tangible things because you...
No comments yet.