The Lord's Prayer One Two Three
Part 1 of 3
A Look at the Lord sharing with the Disciples on prayer manner.
Part 1 of 3
Prayer manner and Heart Matter
One of the world’s best known and most spoken prayers is found in Matt.6: 9-15.
“but when you pray…”
Jesus used this prayer as an ideal, a more excellent way. There is a way in which to pray and entreat the Father’s answer. “When”, not if, but when you pray, “go into your closet or your room and close the door, and pray to your Father who is unseen…”
1) When you pray, can mean at any time. There are no time initiatives, no dogma, no bowing down at a prescribed hour. Not with posture of the body but of the heart. Paul speaking on prayer and the spirit filled life says this, “pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (Eph. 6: 18)
2) Go into… a special place, where you can be alone, undisturbed, a place of peace and solitude, somewhere where you are able to focus, able to shut out the world about you. Jesus would go off by himself into the wilderness.
3) Pray to your Father, who is unseen. He who is unseen requires an action of faith. Who? Our Father. How did he become our Father? What has transpired in our lives to bring us to this place, that we call him Father? We have the only faith in the world that has this type of relationship, that we are called the children of God, and a relationship of intimacy.
4) Relationship. “You are all sons of God through faith in Jesus Christ.” (Gal.3:26) “…Those led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.” (Rom.8:14-16) We ARE! Present tense. We are not becoming sons but we Are Right Now! We know who God is. This is the first and foremost ingredient; accepting God as Father, with a paternal relationship (John 14:23) with us through Jesus the Christ (anointed one), his son, who lived, died, rose again, giving us access, a more Excellent Way to God, with Holy Spirit, who indwells us and teaches us how to be true sons/daughters of God. We are brought to the Father by him who has drawn us, even himself through Holy Spirit, sent to convict us of sin. He is so in love with us that he has developed a foolproof plan, where-by he could give us everything we needed to be, sons/daughters. He even supplied the measure of faith. (Rom.12:3) Even when we don’t know what to pray, Holy Spirit intercedes for us with deep groans.
This living truth brings us into this relationship. We must receive the revelation in our spirit and be awakened from the dead, a new creation in Christ Jesus.
First step: becoming born again and exercising our faith in Jesus and what has been done for us, by and through God’s love. (Jn.3:3, Jn. 3:16, 1Peter 1:23)
(Heb.11:6) “and without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
God has prepared everything for us, that we should have a relationship with him. Jesus being the first born, we have an example to follow. We are to be transformed from glory to glory. (2Cor.3:18)
So let us shake loose the chains of this earth and take on our heavenly calling that we might fill the earth with Christ likeness. Our God is an absolute genius, deserving of our praise and thanksgiving, for all that he has done for us through Jesus. (Eph. 1:3-14 & 2:1-10) “This then is how you should pray: Our Father who is in heaven…”
Our Father… we already know.
5) “Who is” We exercise our faith, (exercise means to do it over and over, until it becomes a systematic occurrence, but not a programmed ritual) for we know who he is and that he exists and we believe he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him, and we are sons/daughters.
6) “in heaven” A real place, a Kingdom, therefore there is a King, ruler, authority, majesty, power, armies of angels, a throne room, elders, creatures of all kinds, horses, a different place than here, a Holy place, choirs of angels, singing, shouting, praise and worship all the time, colourful, rainbow, bright jewels, gates, golden streets, many witnesses observing us, houses, rooms, one seated on the throne and Jesus by his side. There are angels with scrolls, bowls full of prayers of the saints, incense and fire, spinning wheels within wheels with eyes. (Books of Revelation & Ezekiel) We are welcome to come into his presence, to the throne of grace, where we can come with confidence, so that we might receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Heb.4:16) Our need requires clarification. Need before want.
7) “hallowed be your name” Regarded as holy, he has a name, that is holy and above every other name, his name is so precious it is not even mentioned here. Jewish custom said that his name was so holy it should not even be spoken.
He is allowing us to be sons/daughters, but that does not take away from who he is and our reverence and respect as God and Holy Father. (Num.20:6, Duet.5:24,
1Chron.16:29, Ps.29:2, 96:8, Heb.12:28, 29, Rev.4:8)
8) “your kingdom come” Your kingdom to come where? Jesus said, “the kingdom of God is within you” (Luke 17:21.) The kingdom has already come, it is within you to proclaim, for as you have received the Spirit of God into your person and united with your spirit, so then the kingdom now exists within you and you are no longer a citizen of this world and bound by it, you are now a new creation, ( 2Cor.5:17) standing before your Father, in a heavenly place a true and natural place where your prayers are heard, because you stand in the righteousness of Christ, not by anything you have done on your own, not by works, it is a gift of God. (Eph.2:8) “To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins, by his blood and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father, to him be glory and power for ever and ever, Amen. (Rev.1:6)
This work has been done in three parts. Please see Part 2 & 3, for it to be a complete article. Thank You L.
PS; Dear readers, many additional advertisements are selected by ad choice randomly and I have little control on some of the content. Just so you know I do not necessarily agree with their content or endorse the product or feature. Lawrence
Lord's Prayer, Part 2 & 3
- The Lords Prayer Part 2
Prayer Manner Heart Matter Part 2 9) your will There is something to do, something God wants accomplished. When we come to him, knowing who he is, we know that he is willing to answer those things...
- The Lords Prayer Part 3
Prayer Manner Heart Matter, Part 3 God lavished upon us grace and mercy through Jesus. We were chosen to stand in the righteousness of Christ as adopted sons, by his own good pleasure. (Eph.1:4-8) A...
More by this Author
Article 2 in a series of articles on The Art of Intercession from my book; the "Art of Intercession and You". A Progressive Study.
Come let us FIG-ure together A Lesson From The Fig Tree How Do I Approach Prayer? Take a lesson from the Fig Tree Mark 11.12-14, 20-25 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in...
This is another Article from my book. This one is subjective to its title. To take the intercessor deeper into understanding motive and self.