This is how we know what LOVE is:
What does love look like?….This is a question that so many people have often pondered. Some say it is romance. Others say it is momentary bliss. Dictionary.com defines it as:
- A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person
- A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend
Though those definitions explain "love" as something desirable…I can’t help but realize that these mere emotions or feelings….but isn’t love something more real?
To be honest with you, I have yet to find any better definition of what love TRULY is than in the following verses:
- “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.” -1 John 3:16
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” -Romans 5:8
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” -1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is so much more beautiful than momentary bliss. It is much more powerful than romantic passion. There is not a word in our language that can begin to describe what LOVE truly is. All I can say is that Jesus loves you, and it is not the kind of love the world knows.
Again, the question: What is love?….This is how I know what love is: Though I am a nobody, Jesus Christ, my KING, died for me. Not because I deserved such a sacrifice, no, on the contrary; while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me.
I pray that you can find rest and peace in Jesus and in his love (Matthew 11:28-30). It may be hard to understand, but I know Jesus thought of you while he was on that cross…Jesus loves YOU. Know it, and marinate in it.
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! And if you have any other insight you would like to add, please indulge us.
(Oh and rate-ups are always appreciated as well :)
(If you enjoyed this hub, check out my blog at LivingForJesus.com)