True Prophet vs. False "Profit"
In the modern "church" today, there are false prophets among the masses. they are not called by God to speak truth and others, but are counterfeits. Sometimes it can be difficult to discern truth from the lies. The Bible gives clear examples that differentiates one from the other.
“They see falsehood and lying divination who are saying, ‘The LORD declares,’ when the LORD has not sent them; yet they hope for the fulfillment of their word. “Did you not see a false vision and speak a lying divination when you said, ‘The LORD declares,’ but it is not I who have spoken?” - Ezekiel 13:6-7
If you read through this whole of chapter 13 in Ezekiel, it is quite clear what characterizes a false prophet.
These so called prophets practice divination, which is a practice God takes very seriously. The modern "church" has not taken seriously the standards that the God upholds in His Word. This may be from a lack of teaching, warning, or ignorance in this area.
- If you are part of a the church system, when was the last time someone taught on this theme?
- Have you ever thought to ponder or investigate the truth for yourself?
The odds are probably slim. Teachings like this in the sanctuaries of men are deemed be too controversial, ruffle feathers, and makes too many feel uncomfortable.
Therefore I have hewn them in pieces by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of My mouth; And the judgments on you are like the light that goes forth. - Hosea 6:5
This verse clearly explains the “chopping” of lies with an “axe” so to speak with the truth of God’s Word.
God’s truth could also be described like a “hammer” that shatters the hard hearts of the hardened generations (those within the church system).
God’s truth is bold and goes against the grain of this world. Most people only want their ears tickled with “grand delusions”, rather than hearing God's truth. God’s truth is what people need to hear.
False prophets prophecy prosperity, promote false peace, and make things up out of the deceit in their hearts. They use flattery on the masses which is a form of manipulation.
"He that speaks flattery (cheleq) to his friends, even the eyes of his children shall fail." - Job 17:5 KJV
A hardened heart towards God is a serious issue and not to be taken lightly…the Bible has many accounts of the fate of people who hardened their hearts towards Him.
“For anyone of the house of Israel or of the immigrants who stay in Israel who separates himself from Me, sets up his idols in his heart, puts right before his face the stumbling block of his iniquity, and thencomes to the prophet to inquire of Me for himself, I the LORDwill be brought to answer him in My own person. “I will set My face against that man and make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from among My people. So you will know that I am the LORD. - Ezekiel 14:7-8
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
People today are receiving "ministry" from false prophets in their own "church" that promotes idolatry in their hearts. That is a scary picture.
I am going to give you a bunch of descriptive terms that are backed by Scripture that exposes the falsehood of these prophets:
- They speak flattering words and make you vain with grand delusions...2 Timothy 4:3-4
- Ask for money or endorsement to feed their greed and egos.... Micah 3:11
- They can “work” a crowd with their dynamic speech and enticing “eye glazing” stories...Isaiah 30:10
- They twist, mangle and pervert Scripture for their own benefit..... Jeremiah 14:14
- Lead many into error, idolatry and false hope... Jude 1:4,11 and 16
- They lack discernment, falsely prophecy and lack sound doctrine..... Ephesians 4:14
“You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? Matthew 7:16
The true prophet fulfills this text:
“I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. - John 16:12-15
A true prophet does not have to strive to make a name for oneself, but strives only to freely promote the truth of Jesus Christ. Truth is God’s Word, which comes first and foremost.
A true prophet’s anointing will either shine or flop over time. There is no need to call attention to oneself as being “super spiritual” or having “greater revelation” to promote one’s ministry, charity, books and other “products” they are selling in the name of Jesus. A true prophet, first and foremost points to Jesus, only Jesus Christ and His Word.
A true prophet does not seek after his own needs, but the needs of the true body of Christ.
Many do not understand that it is a blessing to be corrected or exhorted by the truth of Scripture, because it brings us closer to the character and mind of Christ.
Here are some characteristics, which I find a rarity in the church today, that you may find helpful in discovering what a true prophet of God is. This is from Leonard Ravenhill. This is not his full list, but I used the ones that I thought were relevant. I would recommend that you weigh and test these and filter them through Scripture.
Here are some descriptive examples below:
Reference: Copyright (C) 1994 by Leonard Ravenhill, Lindale Texas –
- The prophet is God's detective seeking for a lost treasure.
- The degree of his effectiveness is determined by his measure of unpopularity.
- Compromise is not known to him.
- He has no price tags.
- He is totally "otherworldly."
- He is unquestionably controversial and unpardonably hostile.
- He marches to another drummer!
- He breathes the rarefied air of inspiration.
- He is a "seer" who comes to lead the blind.
- He lives in the heights of God and comes into the valley with a "thus saith the Lord."
- He shares some of the foreknowledge of God and so is aware of
- impending judgment.
- His message is "repent, be reconciled to God or else...!"
- His prophecies are parried.
- His truth brings torment, but his voice is never void.
- He eats daily the bread of affliction while he ministers, but he feeds the Bread of Life to those who listen.
- He walks before men for days, but has walked before God for years.
- He is a scourge to the nation before he is scourged by the nation.
- He announces, pronounces, and denounces!
- He has a heart like a volcano and his words are as fire.
- He talks to men about God.
- He carries the lamp of truth amongst heretics while he is lampooned by men.
- He faces God before he faces men, but he is self-effacing.
- He hides with God in the secret place, but he has nothing to hide in the marketplace.
- He has passion, purpose and pugnacity.
- He is ordained of God but disdained by men.
Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. - 1 Corinthians 14:29-33
Today, we face many hard and contentious issues within the body of Christ. Some of them require confrontation, sacrifice, and affliction as part of the Lord’s calling in our lives, in order that His name be glorified!
Are you willing to count the cost?
It may not look pretty at the moment, but take heart because you are not alone. God will not abandon us and He will give us the strength to fight the fight. Stand on the rock, Jesus Christ, who will give strength to weather the storms.
- Investing in Kingdom Principles, Reaping Eternal Rew...
What if there was a way to invest into something where everyone gains and no one loses? I bet your saying, “I heard this pitch before at many a multi-level marketing meeting.” “It made my eyes gloss over of the very thought of sitting on a beach in a
- Probing the Prosperity Gospel
If we are heirs to the blessings of Abraham, and prosperity is part of the covenant, then why is it wrong to want financial blessing? What is wrong with the prosperity gospel?
More by this Author
The Holy Spirit in the church has been replaced with an imitation, an antichrist spirit dressed up in white magic.
The modern "church" of today segregates their youth into a program run by a hip young entertainer replacing the role of the father.
The are many symbolisms and occult references that stand out in the music culture today. From historical artifacts to the music artists today it seems that the occult world has never really gone away, but in fact has...