What Happened to Those That Murdered Hussain at Karbala?
The Martyrdom of Hussein
The battle of Karbala, which was located in modern-day Iraq, is the biggest tragedy in the history of Islam. In the battle, Hussain the beloved grandson of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon Him), was murdered by people who also claimed to be Muslims and followers of the Prophet (PBUH).
Hussain was killed by some nonsense Muslim rulers at Karbala because of greed and pride.
But the martyrdom of Hussain has not been wasted by the Almighty. The mission for which Hussain laid down his life gained strength until the Umayyad empire finally crumbled. The tragedy of Karbala shook the foundations of the Umayyad empire, which had been built with foresight and strategy.
Deaths of Yazid, Shimar, Ibn Ziad, and Omar bin Saad
There were certain villains in the tragedy of Karbala, like Yazid, Shimar, Ibn Ziad and Omar bin Saad. However, none of the villains that took part in the holocaust of Karbala escaped divine retribution.
Yazid ruled the Umayyad empire at the time of Karbala. It is unknown exactly how Yazid died, but soon after his death, the city of Kufa fell into the hands of Mukhtar, who heavily punished its treacherous people.
The Search for Hussain's Murderers
There was a ruthless hunt for Hussain’s killers, all of whom perished.
- The infamous Shimar, murderer of Hussain, tried to escape but he was caught and butchered. His dead body was torn to pieces by hungry dogs.
- Omar bin Saad, commander of the forces of Yazid's army in Karbala, was slain along with his son.
- The greatest villain of all, Ibn Ziad, the governor of Kufa at the time of Karbala, fell fighting against Mukhtar’s troops. His head lay before Mukhtar in the same place where only a few years before Hussain’s head had laid before him.
The heads of Ibn Ziad and Ibn Saad were sent to Zainul Abedin, who explained: “Glory be to Allah, who has punished my enemies on my behalf.”
Hussain’s prophetic words, uttered shortly before he was slain, proved true. His enemies were punished in a manner they had never dreamed of while he himself was exalted to a height that has become the envy of all good men. He attained this stature because he was the embodiment of the true spirit of Islam.
Though no one knows where Yazid is buried, it is believed that he is receiving severe damnation and that his grave is full of hell fire indeed.
Allah’s peace and blessings be on Muhammad and his descendants.
More by this Author
It is told that Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) one day said to Muawia that your descendents could kill my offspring. In response Muawia said, “I will never marry in this life.” So, Muawia did not...
- 1Who are Ahle Bait(Bayt) of Holy Prophet according to Sunni Belief in the light of Quran and Ahadith?
Who are Ahle bait (Bayt) according to sunni belief as mentioned in Quran and Hadatih. Names of Ahle Bait (Bayt) include, parents, wives, sons, daughters, grandsons, Hazrat Ali and people of his clan
- 221How to Submit/eFile Income Tax Return and Wealth Statement Online With FBR for Tax Years 2014, 2015 & 2016
A complete guide to submitting/e-filing income tax returns and wealth statements for tax years 2014, 2015 & 2016 via FBR's IRIS system. How to get NTN before submitting returns.