What To Expect When Seeing a Medium Or Psychic
What is Mediumship or Psychic ability?
Mediumship has been around for a very long time, but it gained popularity in the 19th century. Mediums claim to mediate communication with people that have passed out of their physical bodies via the act we refer to as death. All Mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums, meaning, many psychics will be able to give you information about your past, present, and possibly future, but do not channel or speak with those that have left their physical bodies. Mediums not only communicate with those in spirit, but can also do psychic work and often forms of energy healing.
There are many different forms of mediumship, the most common today being mental mediumship. I won't go into all the different types, but it is important to keep in mind that all psychics and mediums have different ways in which they work. Mediums however do not typically rely on tools, such as: tarot cards, astrology, numerology, pendulums, etc. They will use them if they choose but it's not needed when communicating with spirit. Are we all psychic? To some degree yes we are. We are all made of the same matter and all inter-connected. Some people just take to this form of communication more than others, like any other ability, some just happen to excel at this, they act as a conduit or channel for spirit communication.
National Spiritualist Association of Churches
What type of reader should I contact?
Mediums and or psychics are often referred to as readers. Depending on what type of reading you are looking for will determine who you'd want to contact. If you are trying to reach someone that has passed away, you will want to contact a spirit medium. If you are over-all curious about your career, love life, healing, things transpiring around you, a psychic can help with that. A medium can help with all these things as well, but don't be surprised if you visit a medium for a basic reading and your late Aunt Sally pops in for a chat. If you are looking for health information, past life details, spirit guide information, etc...some mediums will help, and healers can also be of service. If you find a medium you are interested in speaking with, ask them how they work and what areas they focus on. Let them know what you are hoping to accomplish by speaking to them. A genuine reader will be happy to tell you how they work, and if they cannot help you will gladly refer you to someone that can.
Many mediums can be found by google, online for free in chat groups such as on facebook, local spiritual churches, and phone directories.
What is the purpose of seeking a medium or psychic reading?
There are many reasons people wish to speak with a medium, psychic or healer. Here are a few of the main ones.
- For confirmation that their loved one(s) in spirit are okay and to talk to them after their current physical life has transferred into spirit.
- For healing; mentally, physically and spiritually.
- For information and guidance on their current life path/journey
Things a medium or psychic should never do
Being that all spiritual workers work differently, there are still a few things that should be said about what a medium or psychic should NOT do during a reading.
- They should never charge you so much that your bank account runs dry, this is work and it's okay to charge for services, but anything sounding ridiculously expensive is just not okay. Genuine mediums do not want to rip people off. Keep that in mind.
- They should never scare you. They should never tell you that you are cursed and that you have hexes that need to be removed, or spiritual attachments that can't be removed without payment. They should not give advice they are not trained to give, such as; legal, financial, or medical.
- They should not require you to sit in person with with them (although some prefer that), this simply is not needed.
- They should NEVER tell you what to do with your life or choices, or tell you what you should believe or not believe in. Period.
- They should never claim they can completely predict the future, nor should you take future predictions as absolute fact. There are simply to many variables constantly at work that can affect outcomes.
Things a Medium or Psychic May do
- Offer guidance, advice, and support for your current life situation
- Bring forward those wish to speak to in spirit to mediate communication and healing
- Refer you to other spiritual workers that may specialize in fields they do not, such as: past life regression therapists, astrologers, numerologists, Shamans, healers or those that work specifically with ascended masters or spirit guides
- Smudging; Native American Sage Burning-why you shoul...
Burning sage should be done to keep yourself and environment balanced. It promotes maintaining a peaceful state of being, and clears negative energy. Think of it as
Q&A and quick tips
- Ask a medium for testimonials on readings they have done, so you can get a feel for how they work and validity in what they can do.
- Is it unreasonable for a medium to charge? NO. However, if a medium is charging an exorbitant amount or claiming they can remove curses, hexes or attachments for a fee, decline and find someone to help that you can comfortably afford. Many will also help when in a financial situation, so don't hesitate to ask.
- An authentic medium will NEVER scare you or try to empty your bank account.
- What is a reasonable amount for a medium reading? This varies, but it's typical to see fee's ranging anywhere from $50-$300 an hour and sometimes much more.
- Unless the medium works with tools, they should not require much information to read for you other then perhaps your first name. Any reader asking more questions then giving information you should be cautious of.
- If you go to see a medium hoping to hear from your mother and don't, does that mean she can't be contacted? NO. Mediums do not have control of which spirits will try to come in to talk. You could go to speak to your mother and hear from your uncle, or even hear from half your family, lost friends, etc...
- Do readings have to be done in person? NO. Spirit communication does not have any time, space, or distance barriers like we do here on the earth plane. Readings can be done in person, online, and over the telephone. This is also true for distance healing.
- During a reading, a medium should be able to give you multiple verifiable facts about people in spirit. This is called validation. This information can come in various ways, but a lot of the times it will be names, dates, the personality of how they were when living, how they looked, details on how they passed, etc...
- Do I have to go to a reading alone? NO. But please ask the medium how they work and if they will allow a friend or spouse to sit with you during the reading.
- Relax during your reading, have fun, and welcome any growth or healing that may come from it.
How to prepare for a reading and what to expect
Here are some things to consider when contacting any type of reader and what to expect from a reading.
Go into a reading with an open mind. Be willing to accept the information you are given. Mediums are people too, keep this in mind and be respectful. Sometimes things do not always make sense and will after some time passes. Asking the reader to be allowed to record, tape, or receive a copy of your session should always be permitted, and many will provide that anyhow. Some mediums will ask for a photograph, or personal item of the person who has passed, be willing to provide an item if asked, but do not give them information they do not need or request. When seeking a medium read in person, it is always okay to remove any personal items from your being that may disclose things about yourself; such glasses, work attire, and wedding rings.
DURING A READING
Relax, and keep an open mind. If you are in person for the reading, you may be asked to sit with your limbs uncrossed or not folded, this is to allow a reader to pick up on your aura field/energy surrounding your physical body. Some readers will request your first and last name, not only for their own safety but also to get a vibration off your name. Keep in mind that readers are just like you. We are all made of the same spiritual "stuff" and you should not feel uncomfortable in any way, or pressured to give them info you do not want to give. We all have our unique way of working, as well as individual personalities, so some mediums you may find you just "connect" well with, and others do not. This is all okay. If you do feel uncomfortable, trust your own instincts and leave the reading or find another reader to help you. Many mediums use tools such as stones/crystals, cards, music, pen and paper, incense, smudging etc, there is no need to feel uncomfortable, just keep in mind they all work differently and be open to the possibilities.
Before beginning make sure you are recording the session if that has been discussed. Many times people seek a reader for help and during excitement or nervousness not all things make sense, so it is nice to have recordings or documents to review at a later time. If the medium or psychic asks questions during the read, please answer them simply with "yes" "no", "or I don't know", or "I can't take that" as the reading progresses you will get a feel for how much info needs to be shared, but should not disclose information that would make the reader know all about you or your particular situation. Many times, due to the nature of this work, mediums will receive images or words that they cannot decipher. They may give you this information and ask if it makes sense to you, simply "yes I can take that" or "that makes sense" will help keep the connection in your reading. It is important to remember that messages are unique and for YOU. Genuine mediums will be able to give you facts about the person or people you are trying to talk to in spirit, and this information can come in many forms. A good medium will always be respectful, non-judgmental, and never intentionally scare or frighten you. Do not be disappointed when receiving a reading and not getting the information you wanted. Again, go with an open mind. Many times we will get the information we need, but not always what we want. This has nothing to do with the authenticity of a reader. A medium or psychic is like a channel or antenna, they simply deliver the information they receive. This is worth keeping in mind in case you go for a reading and the person you had hoped to hear from does not come through.
- How to Read and See Aura Energy
With a little effort and practice, you can begin to easily see and read energy auras. Here's how.
What you should expect as a client
A medium should be aware of your grief and be compassionate should you have just lost a loved one. However, please keep in mind they are not grief counselors and may suggest outside help if needed. They should be kind and considerate while delivering messages they are receiving. They should be able to provide you with ample PROOF about your loved ones in spirit. They should never make you feel scared or concerned about your safety or well being. They should never tell you what to do, what to believe, or condemn any act you've done or acts of others. The experience should be uplifting, healing, and should help you remember that we simply do not die upon the physical act we call death. If all goes well, you will walk away from your reading feeling better, happier, and hopeful.
How do you feel about medium/psychic readings?
Have you ever had a mediumship or psychic reading?See results without voting
More by this Author
Why are we superstitious and what superstitions have been adapted and accepted throughout the world? Here is the most common list with an explanation of each.
Being an Empath is much more common than people realize. Here are the basic traits, signs, and solutions on living with being emotionally hypersensitive.
How easy is it to overdose on nicotine? Not as easy as one would think. Learn to recognize the warning signs and symptoms, as well as how to treat a potential overdose.