What does the Bible say about Compassion
A Biblical look at Compassion
What is it?
Mercy, a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. (from Dictionary.com)
What does the Bible say?
- God is compassionate – Exodus, 20:4-6, Psalms 145:8-9, Micah 7:18-20
- We should be kind and compassionate to one another - Ephesians 4:32, 1 Peter 3:8-9
- We should show mercy – Matthew 5:7
- God saw Adam's need for a companion – Genesis 2:18
- Pharohs daughter - Exodus 2:1-9
- Jobs friends – Job 2:11-13
- David didnt kill saul, Elijah healed the widows son, etc
What did Jesus do?
- Healed people – Matthew 14:14, Matthew 20:30-34, Mark 1:40-42, Luke 7:12-16
- Feed people - Matthew 14:15-21. Matthew 15:30-38
- Wept over Jerusalem / Lazarus – Luke 19:39-44, John 11:32-45
- Prayed for Peter - Luke 22:31-32
- Died on the cross for sinners – John 3:16, Luke 23:33-34, John 15:9-14, Ephesians 1:1-6
- Commissioned Missions – Matthew 9:35-38, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16
How should we respond?
- Be aware of others needs and help - Luke 10:25-37, Matthew 25:34-45, James 1:26-27
- Do unto others as you would want them to do to you - Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31
- Bear each other burdens – Galatians 6:2, Romans 12:13, 1 John 3:17-18
- Mourn with those that mourn – Job 2:11-13, Romans 12:15
- Don't hold grudges - Matthew 18:21-35, Ephesians 4:32, Romans 12:17-21
More by this Author
TQM Defined According to wikipedia.org Total Quality Management was developed in the mid 1940s by Dr W. Edwards Deming. The Deming Prize Committee of the Union of Japanese further defines TQM as: TQM is a set of...
No comments yet.