What does the Bible say about Temptation
A Biblical look at Temptation
What is it?
An enticement or invitation to sin, with the implied promise of greater good to be derived from following the way of disobedience. (from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary)
What does the Bible say?
- Sin is breaking God's law – James 2:10, 1 John 3:4
- The punishment of sin is death – Genesis 2:16-17, Romans 6:28
- Lusts leads to sin – Matthew 5:27-28, James 1:14-15
- No one who lives in him keeps on sinning – John 3:20-21, 1 John 3:6
- Everyone is tempted – Romans 7:14-25, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Ecclesiastes 1:9
What did Jesus do?
- Tempted in the wilderness – Matthew 4:1-11
- Tempted in all ways but without sin - Hebrews 2:18, Hebrews 4:15
- Prayed for Peter – Luke 22:31-32
How should we respond?
- Realize temptation/sin is your fault - James 1:13-15
- Remove temptations - Matthew 5:29-30, Matthew 18:8-9
- Avoid things/people that tempt you - Proverbs 1:10-19, Ephesians 4:27,1 Thessalonians 5:21-23
- Memorize verses that deal with your temptation - Psalms 119:11, Matthew 4:1-12, Ephesians 6
- Pray to God for strength - Matthew 6:13, Mark 14:38, 2 Corinthians12:7-10
- Don't say the devil made me do – admit you have a problem and fix it!
- It is easier to avoid trouble than to get out of it
- ABC's - acknowledge tempt, beware of it, confess, depart from it
More by this Author
TQM Defined According to wikipedia.org Total Quality Management was developed in the mid 1940s by Dr W. Edwards Deming. The Deming Prize Committee of the Union of Japanese further defines TQM as: TQM is a set of...
No comments yet.