What is Islam 101 Powerpoint
What is Islam 101
(1) Meaning of Islam
- Islam is ‘Submission to the Will of Allah’ (Deity, God).
- Islam is derived from the word SALAAM (peace ), so it’s literal meaning is PEACE.
- The people who practice Islam are referred to as MUSLIMS.
“Islam is the second largest religion in the world with an estimated 1.200 billion Muslims in the world!”
- Shahaadah (Creed) To testify that Allah alone is worthy of worship and Muhammad (peace be upon Him) is His final Messenger
- Salaat (Prayer) Muslims pray 5 times a day daily
- Sawm (Fasting) Muslims fast for 29/30 days and have nothing to eat between sunrise & sunset
- Zakaat (Alms giving) Muslims are supposed to give a fixed proportion of their savings (2.5%) for endeavours such as helping the poor. In this way, their wealth is “made pure”
- Hajj (Pilgrimage) Muslims make a visit to the House of Allah in Makkah, once in a life time if one can afford in doing so.
(3) Believing in the Holy Books
“Muslims believe in the FOUR Holy and Sacred books which were revealed to the Prophets from the Lord brought down by the arch angel, Jibraa’il (Gabriel).”
- The PSALMS (Biblical name) / ZABUR (Qur’anic name) revealed to Prophet David (Dawood – P.B.U.H)
- The TORAH (Biblical name) / TAURAAT (Qur’anic name) revealed to Prophet Moses (Musa – P.B.U.H)
- The BIBLE (Biblical name) / INJEEL (Qur’anic name) revealed to Prophet Jesus (‘Esa – P.B.U.H)
- The KORAN (Biblical name) / QUR’AN (Qur’anic name) revealed to Prophet Muhammad ( P.B.U.H)
(4) Prophets in Islam
“Muslims believe that there were about 124,000 prophets who came to earth to spread the message of the Lord.”
They included, prophet:
- Aadam (PBUH) ADAM
- Nuh (PBUH) NOAH
- Idris (PBUH) Enoch
- Yusuf (PBUH) Joseph
- Ibrahim (PBUH) Abraham
- Ya’qub (PBUH) Jacob
- Eisaa (PBUH) Jesus
- Musa (PBUH) Moses
- Muhammad (PBUH)
You can download this article by clicking the links below:
Islamic websites links:
- The UKS First Hand Written Quran 2010-2012
The beginning is always important as it is often micro-cosmic and it is in this sense that when those beginning verses first flowed into the all-embracing heart of the Messenger of God (SAW) we took note that the Pen was once again present; the means
- Talk-Islam.com - Islamic Religion, Muslim Religion
A comprehensive and comparative Islamic related website and search engine. Topics include all Muslim beliefs and Islamic practices, Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), Islamic History, Islamic Organizations, and Islam Resources and Marketplace on the Internet.
- YUSUF Islam Homepage
Official web site for Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens), acclaimed singer-songwriter, humanitarian and philanthropist.
- Islam | Ummah | Ummah Forum | Quran | Islamic Websites | Muslims | Muslim Names | Hijab | Arab | Mus
Learn about Islam on Ummah Forum, read the quran and browse our islamic websites, learn about muslims and muslim names, what is hijab, learn about arab history, find businesses with our muslim directory and islamic forum
- Study Islam Online at SunniPath: The Online Islamic Academy
Online Islamic Studies site
- Al-Maktoum Institute
Al Maktoum - Islamic Studies at Uiversity
More by this Author
People suffer from mouth ulcers in different ways, there are some people who say that when they get mouth ulcers it is painful and usually accompanies a raised temperature and fatigue, whereas other can suffer mouth...
How to pray? Does God answers our prayers? Remember that prayers are always answered, but for prayers to be accepted it needs to be done in a manner that is agreeable to Allah. You also need to maintain regularity,...
ALLAH (GOD) ALSO SPEAKS TO US Sometimes we are just not ready to hear or accept what God (Allah) say’s to us, which is why we think we are alone and God does not speak with us.