Trials Are Temporary
Always Abound with Grace
When Trials Come - Matthew 4:1
Some times we are under the impression that as children of God, our heavenly Father is unaware of the pernicious; harmful, malicious, destructive or evil disturbances in our lives. We tend to think that He involves us in situations and takes himself away from the equation leaving us at the mercy of our own defense system. Well in the first place a Christian hasn’t got any so-called “personal defense system” for what defense you have was given to you of God.
Let us not forget that we belong to Him. He has ownership rights and His Son bare the marks to prove them. Jesus said to Thomas; Put thy hand in my side!
God sent His Son to purchase us by His blood who is now the author and the finisher of our faith, or the alpha and the omega in Him we move and have our being. He is become unto us the life and in trials and temptations, the light that overcomes all darkness.
Paul makes it clear in his writing to the Galatians church said in Galatians 2:20 (KJV), I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Our lives have ceased to belong to us and we now belong to Christ. The evil one who once controlled our old nature, now constantly seeks repossession of our souls using the same "threo" that was used to tempt God's first inhabitants in the Garden of Eden; lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and pride of life.
Using these tempters he desires to make us,
a) Doubt our salvation; the world would like to take you back to the place where you were before the purchase was made;
b) Doubt the authority and therefore causes us to doubt the anointing that the Holy Spirit has invested in us, rendering us devoid of the enthusiasm to see the work of God come to completion.
c) Become distracted by exposing the current diseases that plague society, the high
taxes, current news about people in authority, the chaotic condition of the economy economy and the current
climatic conditions in the weather systems
d) Fall into deception by sinning presumptuously; defying the word yet still expecting God to be faithful
e) Fail to inquire of God about personal or public decisions that would affect your spirituality
These temptations are cleverly designed to abort your Christian walk and prevent you from arriving at you destiny. Paul said in
1 Corinthians 10:13 (KJV),
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it
.Let us take a close look at the verse,
a) There hath no temptation: speaking of the open attacks of the enemy, or the sneers and the derision of the inconsiderate. Those who are insensitive and selfish, not caring about anyone or anything but what’s in their best interest.
Taken you—Seized upon you, or assailed you. As
when an enemy grasps us, and attempts to hold us fast. If you are not careful lies and innuendos will arrest your development in God. You must realize that God allows these things to come upon you to separate the spiritual from the carnal.
But such as is common to man: such as is human and not desiring the assistance of angels, the word being more
than sufficient. Paul says that we aught to work out our own soul salvation with fear and trembling and it is God's intention that we die daily so that we may be processed into his likeness.
But God is faithful— If they looked only to
themselves, they would certainly fall. If they depended on the faithfulness of
God, they would be secure- I am talking about total dependence upon the etermal.
e) God’s word that He was faithful was the only source of security needed. Christians should refrain from looking at their personal defense system, for this only cause’s failure. But if they depended on the faithfulness of God, they would always be secure.
This means that God,
a. Would work alongside your own efforts to keep you
b. That if they used the proper means,
· in resisting temptation
· in seeking God’s aid
· in depending on his promises, then he would be faithful
Therefore God wants you to
depend on his faithfulness, and to do otherwise would be to form an illegal compromise with the enemies of the sovereign God; to provoke him, to tempt him and to lead those that follow you down a road of indecision, temptation and possibly, to the wrath of God.
f) Who will not suffer you to be tempted …—this is a promise to all God's people, implying to the Corinthians that:
(1) The embodiment of God's earth; the difficulties, causes, and agents, whether demonic or man's ego; all that lead to temptation are under the control of God. Every temptation from man, women or child; every demonic spirit that is so engaged; every book, picture, place of amusement; every musical lyric that causes man to become nostalgic and re-invent his past nature; and every supposedly unborn business plan and the ambition that did not materialize; are all under the control of God.
But thanks be to God that in all these things we are more than conquerors because when we have need, the Lord has given us power over those things to bring them our subjection. The lord will abort their influence; he will destroy them as we petition as expressed in the Lord's prayer noted in Matt. 6:13.
(2) God's allows temptation only under His permission. Job was a righteous man yet God allowed him to be tempted. He Himself does not tempt human beings James 1:13; He does not infuse evil thoughts into the mind; He does not create an object of temptation to place in our way, but He suffers it to be placed there by others. God does not set us up to be tempted, the enemy does and when he does he is merely doing his job. When we are tempted, therefore, we are to remember that it is because He allows or permits it; not because He does it. His agency is that of sufferance, not of creation. We are to remember, too, that there is some good reason why it is thus permitted; and that it may be turned in some way to his glory, and to our advancement in virtue.
(3) there is a certain extent to which we are able to resist temptation. There is a limit to our power. There is a point beyond which we are not able to resist it. We do not have the strength of angels.
(4) that limit will, in all cases, be beyond the point to which we are tempted. If not, there would be no sin in falling, anymore than there is sin in the oak when it is prostrated before the tempest.
(5) if people fall into
sin, under the power of temptation, they only are to blame. God has given them the strength to resist all the temptations when encountered, and with this he has assured them that no temptation shall
occur which they shall not be able, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to resist. In situations where failure occurs,
and man falls into sin; man does so by yielding to his own siful nature; the pride of life, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes. Therefore man is responsible for keeping the word and when he falls short he cannot blame God but must be the reciever of that broken responsibility.
g) But will with the temptation …—God is determined to save man but man must adhere to the will of God. Therefore as God allows the temptation to come He divinely will make a way of deliverance.
h) That ye may be able to bear it— endure it or that you may be able to bear up under it. He has entire control of all that can affect them; He will adapt all trials to their strength, and will enable them to bear all that is appointed to them.
1Corinthians 10:13 was a promise to all Christians and may be used,
(1) As a ground of encouragement to those who are in temptation and trial.
a. God knows what you are able to endure;
b. he will sustain you in your temptations
c. the severity of the trial doesn’t matter or how long it may be continued; your personal strength does not matter
d. He has appointed the trial and he his abundantly able to uphold them
(2) The promise that a way shall be made for your escape, is positive and certain, and furthermore, that they shall be able to bear it. God is faithful to you; and though he might suffer you to be tempted beyond what you are able to bear, yet He will not. But God will effectually secure for you an exit from all your trials.
With this promise in view, it’s difficult to see how any devoted Christian, who after being tempted, will be suffered to fall away and perish?
If they do, it must be from one of the following causes; either because God is not faithful; or because He will permit them to be tempted above what they are able to bear; or because He will not make a way for their escape.
Since no Christian can believe either of these, it follows that they who are converted shall be kept unto salvation.
Jesus Enduring Temptation
Now let us look at a well known story in Matthew 4:1 (KJV) which reads,
“Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil”
2 Corinthians 4:1, 2 (KJV) “Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.”
No comments yet.
Gateway to eternity
- Hot Peppers & Cooking With Them
Learn more about the different types of hot peppers, how you can cook with them, and find recipes for 5+ alarm chili! Plus, get tips for cooling your mouth off quickly for when you've gone just a bit over your heat limit.
- How to build a retaining wall
A retaining wall holds back earth materials such as rock and dirt, and supports and stabilizes them from moving downward or sliding down hills in erosion or other downward movement. Structures that hold back...
- What women should wear to a job interview
http://www.eiu.edu There are a couple of main rules to keep in mind when dressing for a job interview: it's better to dress conservatively and men don't like hiring women who wear pantsuits. As to the first...
More by this Author
Today we live in a society in which the concept of peace as taken on a new meaning than that which was known by our forefathers. Anxiety is all over the land and so there is a yearning for peace.
In todays world, the character of a man is tantamount to his physical birth order. This blogs challenges you to observe the symbology of spiritual birth orders.