Why I Am No Longer A Catholic
I was watching “The Nun's Story” with Audrey Hepburn the other day and it reminded me of my own Catholic upbringing, although it had little in common with the film. I am no longer Catholic even though I was baptized Catholic, went to a Catholic grade school for eight years and even wanted to be a nun at one point.
The reason I am no longer Catholic is not because the nun's were mean (although they were), or because I had a terrible experience in the Catholic school system (I didn't), nor did I have any traumatic experiences with priests (as some victims will attest). No the main reason I am not Catholic is because I believe the Catholic religion is anti-Christian. By that I mean the teachings, the customs and traditions of the Catholic religion are not biblical and do not follow the teachings of Christ.
The main areas of the Catholic religion that I believe are in direct opposition to Biblical teaching are as follows:
- The Bible is not the sole authority of the church: 2Ti 3:16 All is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness 2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the is of any private interpretation. The Catholic church teaches that oral tradition and creeds carries as much weight and when in conflict more weight than the word of God.
- The church encourages blind obedience to authority, the Bible says to test everything and everyone: 1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but test the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
- That Mary was without sin through the immaculate conception when the Bible clearly says: Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Rom 3:23 For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God;
- That Mary is a Co-Redemtrix along with Christ. Personally I don't know what could be more heretical than to name another human being as co-redemtrix! Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once and for all.
- That Purgatory exists: The Bible teaches: Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: There is no mention of purgatory anywhere in the Bible, only heaven and hell and the Bible also teaches Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. The Catholic church also used to believe in Limbo. I'm not sure if they still believe in Limbo but that is another teaching that has no basis whatsoever in the Bible.
- The Catholic church believes that you are born again when baptized and they baptize babies. Jesus taught that you must be born again in order to be saved, he was baptized as an adult and so was everyone in the Bible. The act of baptizing is an outward sign of an inward event. The thief on the cross was never baptized yet Jesus said that this day you shall be with me in paradise. Phillip helped to convert the Eunuch: Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, see, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believes with all thine heart, thou mayst. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. How can one believe with all your heart when you are just a baby?
- We should not be praying to saints; the bible says in 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
- Call no man Father. Jesus told us that we should call no man Father in Matthew 23 vs. 9. Jesus was specifically talking about the religious leaders of the day who were referred to as "Father" just as the Catholic priests and pope is today. Look it up, calling an other man Father elevates that person and Jesus taught that if you want to be great in the kingdom of God that you should be the servant of all. It flies in the face of Jesus' teachings.
- Finally, the Catholic church teaches that faith alone is insufficient to save us. This is what the Reformation was about. Moreover the Catholic church teaches in Vatican II that anyone who does believe that we are saved by grace, through faith, and that is not of yourself lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2 8&9) is accursed. See this link: http://carm.org/roman-catholic-view-justification. This heresy alone is why no one should belong to the Catholic church as it diminishes the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross by daring to say that his finished work is insufficient.
In closing, I would say that the worst crime of the Catholic church is to lead millions of people into a system that is actually the opposite of what Jesus Christ taught. Jesus said you will know them by their fruits. What are the fruits of the Catholic religion? The Inquisition, The Crusades and now rampant pedophilia.
Jesus had the harshest of words for the religious leaders of the day:
Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
The best thing you can do if you are Catholic is to find a good Bible believing church and attend that. Read and study the bible and ask Jesus to guide you, He will. We live in treacherous times, we don't have the luxury of staying in a church because of tradition or friends or comfort. We must make good use of the time we have as Jesus is coming quickly to gather up his own and take us home with Him. Will you be ready?
Related Articles by Brie Hoffman
More by this Author
Prophecy tells us what the future will be using the Bible. What does the Bible say about our times? The bible has much to say about the times we live in and we would do well to listen to it.
Romans 13 has been used to keep Christians in line with tyrannical governments throughout history, but does it actually teach that we should obey evil governments?
Times are hard and getting cash can be even harder. Here are 30 practical ways to get money in one day or less, online and off, needing little or no money to invest.