The Bible - Where did it come from? Why is it here?
HOW WE RECEIVED THE BIBLE:
The Bible is not a compilation of the ideas of men and women, theories, or opinions. It's the message of what God revealed to men by way of His spirit. He inspired them to speak and/or write for Him.
- 2Timothy 3:16: “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness.”
- 2Peter 1:20-21: “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is [a matter] of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”
- Galatians 1:12-16: “For neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came to me through revelation of [pertaining to] Jesus Christ... when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me, even from my mother's womb, and called me through his grace, to reveal his Son in me..."
- 2Samuel 23:2: “The spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.”
- Jeremiah 1:9, 11a: “Then the LORD put forth his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, "Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.”, “Moreover the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying,…”
- Acts 1:16: “Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus.”
- 2Peter 3:15: “And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote unto you;”
God is the author of the words that He gave to be made known. Men received information from God and wrote. The Bible is a compilation of these writings.
SOME THOUGHTS REGARDING GOD'S WORD
- God’s thoughts and His ways are higher than men’s thoughts or ways. Isaiah 55:8-9
- God cannot lie. He is trustworthy. Numbers 23:19, Titus 1:2
- God’s Word performs its work in you that believe. 1Thessalonians 2:13
- God’s Word is living and powerful. Hebrews 4:12
- God’s Word is truth. John 17:17
- God’s Word endures forever. 1Peter 1:25, Matthew 24:35
God’s Word is all of the above and more. It is a trustworthy Word. It is a faithful Word because God is faithful to His Word as He was faithful to the children of Israel in all He had promised to them (1Kings 8:56). The message of God’s Word will stand the test of time. Man’s words and man’s wisdom have to adapt and change as Man learns new truths. But God and His gospel message do not have to change. God may give added information to assist man from time to time, but He has not changed: Malachi 3:6. God never has altered, nor will He ever alter His plans and purposes regarding the redeemer of mankind, the promised Christ.
THE PURPOSE OF GOD'S WORD AND SOME OF ITS BENEFITS
God’s Word is a message. It is a message of a promised redeemer, one who would deliver mankind from sin and all of its consequences, bringing us the blessings of God. God sent His message to accomplish His purposes:
Isaiah 55:11: “so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.”
John 3:16-17: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoso-ever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.”
Matthew 11:28-30: “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
2Timothy 3:17: “That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.”
1Timothy 2:4: God, “who is willing for all mankind to be saved and come to a full knowledge of the truth.”
2 Peter 1:3: “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,”
1John 1:3-4: “that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you also, that ye also may have fellowship with us: yea, and our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ: And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.”
Romans 7:4b: “…that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit to God.”
Through the Bible, God reveals to mankind what He wants us to know. God’s Word is spiritual information, communicating to us His thoughts and His ways. It is spiritual information communicated from an infinite, unlimited God to the finite, limited mind of Man. Therefore, we approach God’s Word with all of the humility that we can muster. The key to learning God’s Word is not intellectualism, but meekness and humility. God is the teacher. We are the students.
The purpose of God’s Word is that it would produce its godly effects in those who believe it. God wants our joy to be full. His desire is that all of us would be saved and would come unto a full knowledge of the truth; that we would be equipped unto every good work. He has called us unto all of the above benefits and more through the redemptive work of His son, the Lord Jesus Christ. God has extended to us the privilege of partaking in His plans and purposes through Christ. As a result, our lives become bountifully blessed by Him. Jeremiah 17:5-8
OTHER BENEFITS OF GOD’S WORD
Philippians 4:19: “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”
3John 2: “Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.”
Romans 4:7-8: “Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, And whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not reckon sin.”
Romans 5:1: “Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Galatians 5:22-23: “But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”
Ephesians 1:19a: “And what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe”
Jesus Christ came to make all of this available, and more. The message of God’s Word powerfully works in those who believe. It will produce in anyone’s life what God has promised by His Word when they adhere to it. “A faithful man shall abound with blessings.” Proverbs 28:20
Apart from following God’s lead, we endlessly search to acquire what only God can supply: a fulfilled life.
“For my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.” Jeremiah 2:13
Everyone has developed his/her own system of thinking and beliefs to get through this life to the best of their ability. But these systems are limited in their supply. What “our own way” is lacking is the power of God. Divorced from God, in our state of self-help, He had pity on us. He laid our burden of sin and separation from Him on the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ bore that burden on our behalf when he was nailed to the tree and left to die (Isaiah 53:6). Now any and all may believe on Jesus Christ and grow into all that God has provided in and through the promised Christ. Deliverance from sin and its bondage into the abundant blessings of God is available to anyone who turns toward Him.
The Word Is
More by this Author
LIFE... to its fullest potential!
We will be seeing in this series that God is the same powerful and delivering God that we read about in the Old Testament. All the promises of God find their “yes” and “amen” in Jesus Christ....
As believers we believe God. We received our new life in Christ by faith and we walk in it by faith. We allow what God says is true about us to be that which determines how we see ourselves and each other.