newnation profile image 61

Is Islam Really a Peaceful Religion?

As I sat down to review the happenings in my country, Nigeria, one question kept creeping up in my subconscious...'Is Islam really a peaceful religion?'.Am sure this particular question has at one point or another crossed the minds of many Nigerians and the global community at large. Many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace, but daily occurrence the world over keeps pointing in the opposite direction. The question of how peaceful the religion has been has eluded a good number of us.

whonunuwho profile image82

whonunuwho says

• newnation profile image

newnation 4 years ago

But many of these religions really don't have verses directing or upholding such violence as the Quaran does. I guess maybe that's the reason why there are so many Islamic malitias

KarlawithaK profile image71

KarlawithaK says

• newnation profile image

newnation 4 years ago

Verses abound in the Qur’an which supports violence ranging from religious intolerance (Suras 9:5),domestic violence against women (Sura 4:34), amputation of criminals (Sura 5:38), harsh punishment for anyone that speaks against the prophet (Suras 3:

Ms Dee profile image86

Deidre Shelden (Ms Dee) says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 4 years ago

Christianity is based on the life of a man who was clearly anti-war, yet all five of the major religious wars involved some form of Christianity. If a religion is defined by its people, and how they practice, then I would say very few are peaceful.

onegoodwoman profile image82

onegoodwoman says

Rabiey profile image80

Rabiey says

Jesus was a hippy profile image61

Jesus was a hippy says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure that the words "completely peaceful" can only be used safely for the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism. Your conversation proves that a religion can be "peaceful" in theory but in practice and interpretation of teachings, violent.

andrew savage profile image60

andrew savage says

yeagerinvestments profile image83

yeagerinvestments says

• andrew savage profile image

andrew savage 3 years ago

Sounds like another enemy of the American constitution. Do you know if they retranslate the Quran like they do with the King James Bible?

0

wongomowale says

SAQIB6608 profile image42

SAQIB (SAQIB6608) says

lostdogrwd profile image59

Richard Davis (lostdogrwd) says

• newnation profile image

newnation 4 years ago

I have critically examined some parts of the quaran, and it seems to me that it is full support of a lot of things ranging from domestic violence, amputation, stoning to actual murder. I want you to give me explanations for these verses in the quaran