Ericdierker profile image 80

What do you make of John 20:19-23?

Most particularly I was working on a sermon on this and this line hit me in a new light, like a ton of bricks: 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” My thoughts are that man can forgive man, if acting with the Holy Spirit. But I also see this as only applying to earth.

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

We had an old joke, the mom went to see her son perform in the marching band. Finally she asked, "why is everyone out of step except my son?" God can certainly get us back "in step".

Leon Elijah profile image82

The Elijah Tribe (Leon Elijah) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

This is a wonderful comment Leon, thank you. But it leaves me a little worried for you, it seems that you are retaining the sins of the Church against them.

cynthiaalburo0322 profile image59

Cynthia Medina Alburo (cynthiaalburo0322) says

• lone77star profile image

Rod Martin Jr (lone77star) 3 years ago

Beautiful. And with you taking 100% responsibility, the other person is off the hook. By such "turning the other cheek," they are shocked from their position of "effort" and blind (ego) selfishness.

C.V.Rajan profile image69

Disillusioned (C.V.Rajan) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

That pardoned word is a great one. Your point is well taken. I just substituted God for police. And the notion remains true.

WalterPoon profile image90

Poon Poi Ming (WalterPoon) says

• celafoe profile image

charlie (celafoe) 3 years ago

and why not, they are compatable statements

Lee Tea profile image93

Lee Tea says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

Lee Tea, you have stated a great truth. Pain and loss is inevitable, suffering is optional. How we perceive is what makes us who we are. If we perceive in Love we live in it.

Jisblessed profile image75

Jisblessed says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

Interesting. Are we ever bound by others from this earth for everlasting life? It would seem not. But it would seem that the Holy Spirit can work through us and so in that sense Yes. What a responsibility we have, to each other.

Admiral Murrah profile image83

Admiral Murrah says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

I like that very much Admiral. There is a point of taking the responsibility. My friend Abraham Lincoln reminded us "obedience of the Law is the greatest freedom". I can look a man in the eye and know.

Savio Dawson profile image82

Savio Koman (Savio Dawson) says

• celafoe profile image

charlie (celafoe) 3 years ago

yes this is correct.

72

graceinus says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

Really cool huh! That Matthew verse always sticks with me. It is almost a trick point of direction. We must forgive so the second option, is like a temptation. No matter really for cats like you and me --- what up, we forgive so the second option is?

cherihut profile image82

Cheri Hutson (cherihut) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

Wow, that is cool. This morning I was reading Luke 10:1-20 and some writing from Joseph of Jesus and Mary. That focused on the 72 that were sent. I am seeing some right in use of the terms to describe one who is sent.

Great comment give us the link.

celafoe profile image69

charlie (celafoe) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

Well spoken as usual Celafoe. For me, I ain't no hero. I just follow orders and feel I am ordered to forgive. I think those wild Apostles got that too. I cannot find a case of one of the Apostles "not forgiving" someone. Maybe for a while, Paul.

taburkett profile image59

taburkett says

• graceinus 3 years ago

taburkett- I believe one can become a disciple and have yet to receive the Holy Spirit. And disciple simplely mean "student". One does not receive the Holy Spirit first TO become a disciple. If a student desires to forgive then he or she should.

0

Deborah Sexton says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

"Just because a person or a group of people were told something in scripture does not mean it is for everyone." Right on Sister! The audience is always as important as the message. They must have had a blast until the last.

0

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

When I wake up in the morning, the first few minutes are kind of fuzzy. And then I just go "WWJD". I got no confusion. When in doubt love and forgive. I do reckon some folks have to wonder about such matters.