kallini2010 profile image 87

How far is too far for you in using "perfect" grammar?

After having taken a course in linguistics, I realized that perfect writing always legs behind the development of a language itself. Linguists describe the language, the society language guardians prescribe how to write. I am not asking to abandon grammar altogether, but some rules seem like sheer nitpicking. "Buyer's Guide"; "Buyers Guide"; "Buyers' Guide"; "Buyer Guide". It sounds quite cumbersome, especially when you hear the words vs. read them. Do you feel the same? Maybe only some times?

Twilight Lawns profile image85

Best Answer Twilight Lawns says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 3 years ago

There is no space to express how funny it was. It's a hub! Did you know that words "daughter, slaughter, laughter" rhymed before? That is my new knowledge of linguistics!

Billie Kelpin profile image88

Billie Kelpin says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 3 years ago

I would not argue about the fluids such as "me & him" (who knows how all the pronouns will turn out in the future), but I never paid attention that WE, Russians say "We with the wife"... meaning "My wife and I" and it is correct. Illogical, but..

Kathleen Cochran profile image83

Kathleen Cochran says

• lupine profile image

lupine 3 years ago

Proper grammar doesn't have to be difficult. It is only difficult if the reader lacks spelling and grammar skills. My first summer job was typesetting and proofreading for a local newspaper when I was 16 years old.

BuffaloGal1960 profile image85

T. Clifton (BuffaloGal1960) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 3 years ago

I was less tolerant to imperfect writing in Russian, a snob of sorts, but when I learned English, I realized - this is my punishment, my writing will never be perfect. As much as it hurts, double negatives is the norm in most languages.

lupine profile image81

lupine says

Insane Mundane profile image60

Insane Mundane says