ChristinS profile image 91

Why do those who routinely ask questions to provoke atheists/agnostics do so?

Some people here and elsewhere seem to constantly need to question atheists, only to not listen to the answers and belittle the very people they are asking questions of. Is that because they feel threatened by atheists? Shaky in their own faith so they need to demonize? What is the reason people can't just live and let live? I don't go out of my way to ask religious people questions only to put them down, why not show some respect? Yes I know it goes both ways and both sides need to not ask only to provoke. Ask questions if you are interested only. Is that unreasonable to expect?

gmwilliams profile image84

Best Answer Grace Marguerite Williams (gmwilliams) says

• AMAZING THINKER profile image

AMAZING THINKER 3 years ago

I wrote a hub about this: Science vs religion.

Thought you'd be interested!

CraftytotheCore profile image97

CraftytotheCore says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

I agree I love this community always have, but there are a couple here who seem to do this routinely and I can't help but wonder is there a point to it? It's not like it leads to discourse (a good thing) but to disparage the very answers they ask for

Georgie Lowery profile image95

Georgianna Lowery (Georgie Lowery) says

• taburkett profile image

taburkett 3 years ago

Spreading truth is very easy for the righteous. But it causes the wicked to complain because they must continually spread falsities in order to sway the complacent.

Lee Tea profile image92

Lee Tea says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

I agree. It's not that I take it personally, but I find it perplexing as to "why" - what compels someone to do it over and over and over. It's like the definition of insanity ;) expecting different results? or just want to stir the pot? lol

brblog profile image89

Bruce (brblog) says

3amart profile image80

JoLynn Potocki (3amart) says

Darrell Roberts profile image79

Darrell Roberts says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

Well stated and I agree, I love discourse and talking and enjoy most Christians - there are a handful here though that do seem to use the questions section here to provoke rather than discuss.

Wesman Todd Shaw profile image92

Wesman Todd Shaw says

AMAZING THINKER profile image60

AMAZING THINKER says

christiananrkist 3 years ago

Albert Einstein's quote is good. I must completely disagree with Enerst Hemingway. ALL think men? bit of a stretch

Chuck Bluestein profile image87

Chuck Bluestein says

heatherp1989 profile image62

heatherp1989 says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

A very well-reasoned response. I agree with your points. I just can't see the benefit of seeking out a fight with those you disagree with, but I value learning/listening to the experiences of others.

Borsia profile image60

Borsia says

christiananrkist 3 years ago

wasnt the question, why do christians ask questions? so how do they hear their own answers? isnt the question to hear the atheists answer? i also consider myself wanting to engage in meaningful conversation. i know there are those who dont though

christiananrkist says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

You don't actually. You have interesting questions and thought provoking dialogue. You are NOT who I am referring to at all. I enjoy your questions/answers.

dellea says

• Lee Tea profile image

Lee Tea 3 years ago

ChristinS then there's this - where someone misquotes what you've said and then unleashes a rebuttal against it.

Dellea no where does she claim this is ONLY happening to her - just that it is.

3 answers hidden due to negative feedback. Show