peeples profile image 89

What makes someone who wants to believe in a God incapable?

No matter how much I want to be part of the majority my brain just doesn't allow for the belief in a God. What is different about the brains of non believers (or maybe it's just me) that makes me/us incapable of belief even when their is a real desire?

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• christiananrkist 3 years ago

its interesting thats the same argument that many christians use against atheists. saying they really do know God exists but that they are just lying to themselves so they can keep on sinning. this doest seem to prove or disprove anything.

Neil Sperling profile image88

Neil Sperling says

• gmwilliams profile image

Grace Marguerite Williams (gmwilliams) 3 years ago

Beautiful answer, Neil. WE ALL are Gods, however, WE refuse to realize this. Stop depending upon outside religious structures and cultivate our own unique spirituality! That is THE MARK of true spiritual maturity!

IDONO profile image82

IDONO says

• wba108@yahoo.com profile image

wba108@yahoo.com 3 years ago

I think you hit the nail on the head, faith requires risk, it can be uncomfortable but "no pain, no gain"! I like your other comment, "what do you have to lose", this always made sense to me.

livingit4real profile image84

livingit4real says

• wba108@yahoo.com profile image

wba108@yahoo.com 3 years ago

Well said, people often confuse religion with relationship! Its not head knowledge, its a knowledge of the heart that counts.

gmwilliams profile image84

Grace Marguerite Williams (gmwilliams) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

This is a lovely interpretation/explanation. Sometimes, for agnostics and atheists, the belief of "God" as preached from the pulpits and from the Bible seems as if would be insulting to a Creator of the Universe.

Sri T profile image80

Sri T (the mystic) (Sri T) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

This falls in line with what I believe. I call myself an atheist because I do not believe in a diety that is separate, but I do believe in an energy that permeates all beings and connects us.

Silva Hayes profile image94

Silva Hayes says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Silva, Yes! It takes a great deal of self-discipline to kindly smile when someone tells you "Everything happens for a reason!" I wish they would say, " I understand your pain, and I know you'll be able to CREATE a reason and purpose out of this"

CraftytotheCore profile image95

CraftytotheCore says

mbwalz profile image88

mbwalz says

Rock_nj profile image89

John Coviello (Rock_nj) says

• SandCastles 3 years ago

There is no hard evidence for evolution either.

MizBejabbers says

• lone77star profile image

Rod Martin Jr (lone77star) 3 years ago

Beautiful, Miz. If we start with love, then we have a more solid foundation than anything to which ego can guide us.

But so many people misinterpret the Bible (skeptics and believers, alike). There is Truth in it, but it's not literal.

Gareth Pritchard profile image71

Gareth Pritchard says

• lone77star profile image

Rod Martin Jr (lone77star) 3 years ago

As a scientist and mathematician, I agree it's not possible to prove God, but I've seen too many miracles not to believe. Those who don't find empirical evidence don't want to find it.

wba108@yahoo.com profile image85

wba108@yahoo.com says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 3 years ago

Maybe this is my problem. I truly searched out a god as a child and never found anything. I was young so I doubt my intentions were wrong. I think this is where it all started. Faith seems to be only something I can gain for those close to me.

Borsia profile image59

Borsia says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Love this: We "... tend to think that it is ok to make-up answers to these questions and accept these answers until they are disproven or replaced with more provable ones."

Life is not a "true-false" exam; it's more of an essay question.

RBJ33 profile image60

RBJ33 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

I love the humanist mind set! I see what peeples is saying. At's really hard to be at the periphery of the mainstream, especially recently, it seems. Very lonely. That's why the Unitarian Universalist Church is "calling" to me :)

DeepThought258238 profile image79

Unanimous (DeepThought258238) says

0

SandCastles says

0

christiananrkist says

61

tbHistorian says

• livingit4real profile image

livingit4real 3 years ago

It is wonderful that you want to love God but it is God that first showed His love for you and all of us by giving His Son to die on the cross for forgiveness of our sin. God draws us to Himself for that salvation. Are you responding for salvation?