72

Did you know the word Deuteronomy means "Second Law", so was there two Covenants given to Moses?

Deuteronomy is the fifth Book within the Holy Bible. In Greek the word Deuteronomy is drawn from two words: deuteros meaning Second and nomos meaning Law. If one looks at the verse in Deuteronomy 29: 1 (NKJV) it states: 1 These are the words of the COVENANT which the Lord commanded Moses to make with the children of Israel in the land of Moab, BESIDES the COVENANT which He made with them in Horab. Does this mean God gave Moses two Covenants for the Nation of Israel in the Old Testament? Because it sure looks like it to me. And why haven't we heard about this before?

0

Best Answer JThomp42 says

• graceinus 3 years ago

JThomps42- If one were to read chapters 29, 30, and 31, this clearly is referring to secound covenant. You will not also it is not a repeat of the first. If you understand Deu.31: 24-26 in it context then you'll see what I mean. Thanks JT

cam8510 profile image94

Chris Mills (cam8510) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

This is so cool!! I still remnants of being a lawyer in my brain. And this is so similar to a king giving a law. And then a judge applying it as a precedence to follow. I agree that they are not "two" separate covenants. But two faces of God.

debhansencsm profile image59

debhansencsm says

• graceinus 3 years ago

debansencsm- Thank you for your answer. I am looking forward to reading your Hub on this subject with great interest. Many blessings.

irenemaria profile image41

irenemaria says

• graceinus 3 years ago

irenemaria- My point of a secound covenant is within Deuteronomy Chapters 29, 30 and 31. I think it is clearly layed out. This it the second that I'm referring to. Thanks for your answer.