73

Why do many christian churches teach tolerance if the subject of tolerance is not in the Holy Bible?

Why do many christian believe that tolerance is a important subject in the christian faith when there is no mention of the word TOLERANCE anywhere in the bible? Many christian are called hypocarite because they may lack tolerance. Can anyone show me where it states that if I don't show tolerance (on many issues) as a christian, then I'm a hypocrite? Many christian claim that if you're not tolerant then your not loving. So where does this idea or concept of tolerance come from in the christian faith?

PlanksandNails profile image89

Best Answer Pn'N (PlanksandNails) says

• graceinus 2 years ago

PandN- Thank you very much and I fully agree. However, the bible version (KJV and NKJV) I have read in Rev. 2:20 does not use the word tolerate in it. It uses another word in it place. What version do you have? Again thanks.

• celafoe profile image

charlie (celafoe) 2 years ago

looks can be deceiving, especially when one wants them to suit them selves. These verses DO NOT stand alone and must fit with the rest of scripture, esp 1 Cor. Love is NOT tolerance. tolerance is not of God but of mans deceitful heart

Snøwman profile image60

Snøwman says

• graceinus 2 years ago

snowman-I believe you have tolerance confused with grace. We must remember that her sin of adultery was paid for by Jesus death on the cross. She did not get away with the sin of adultery. Jesus paid for her sin with His life. Grace, not tolerance.

• graceinus 2 years ago

lone77star- I think there is a common err amoung christian when it come to tolerance and connecting it to acts of sin. I think tolerance is confused with grace. It's God's grace that helps us in dealing with sin within ourselves and others. Thank you

Chris Remmie profile image81

Chris Remmie says

• graceinus 2 years ago

Chris- Thanks for your comment. It must be said that we can rebuke christians and non-christain alike. While Jesus was 40 days in the wilderness He quoted Hebrew texts a number of times against satan who tempted Him This was a form of rebuking satan.

celafoe profile image70

charlie (celafoe) says

• graceinus 2 years ago

celafoe- Thank you very much for your comment. I agree with you. I believe there is a lot of confussion within the chriatian faith with regards to tolerance. There is nothing in the bible that states implies suggest or requires one to show tolerance.