Billie Kelpin profile image 91

What would life on this planet look like if people did not believe in an after-life?

How specifically do you think life would change if most people believed that this is all we have - that there is no reward or no punishment in an afterlife - that our whole existence is here and now. How would that belief affect our care of the planet, exploration in space, interaction with each other as individuals and as countries. Would we be more advanced in medicine and other innovations? Does believing in an after-life hold us back as a species? (I'm just askin' :)

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

Thanks, M.T, I guess most of us do believed that life is still a rare and precious gift. I worry about the power of those who feel the after-life holds more. However, I think you're right. In the heart of hearts of each person is this awareness.

Aime F profile image84

Aime (Aime F) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

I TOTALLY agree regarding concern for the environment. I hear variations of your quote all the time ("God created it ...and it'll all be fine). That abdication of the concept of "stewardship" is frightening. You are very wise, Aime and a philosopher

dahoglund profile image84

Don A. Hoglund (dahoglund) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

Einstein, as I see it,was more inclined toward pantheism-admired Spinoza who argued that the soul and body were one.Therefore, we might conclude that Einstein might not have believed in an afterlife.He claimed humility in trying to understand God.

Awesome Harry says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

and that's why your name is "Awesome" Harry !