jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why do Christians tell people they need to get closer to God when God is omnipre

1. gabgirl12 profile image59
    gabgirl12posted 4 years ago

If God is omnipresent, why do you say you need to get 'closer' to him like he's far away? If you accept Jesus into your heart, getting closer to him invalidates the moment of conversion.

1. pennyofheaven profile image83
      pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Might be because that is what they are taught.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I would think, it could be compared to a teenager and a parent. You can be in the same room, but worlds apart. Conversing, but not communicating.

I've never really understood the 'accept Jesus into your heart' experience, so I might be shooting in the dark here. I suppose there is a moment where you desperately want a connection and maybe you feel it. But, no one walks through life feeling connected to, or firmly a part of, the universe 24/7. I guess you need to set side time for meditation and reflection to regain the peace you might have felt at any moment you perceived that understanding.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

That is a great question. I like Emily B's analogy of a parent and teen. Coming from a vastly divergent religious background I have found semantics largely the problem.  God is omnipresent. I am finite. I can't understand all there is about God.  If I could he wouldn't be big enough to be omnipresent.  It's like any relationship.  If you want to know someone better, you have to move(do something together, talk, listen) That's kind of how getting closer to God works.
    You talk to him, you read the bible to see what he says, then you wonder what it all means and then you take what it says to do and act.

The whole,"Accepting Jesus into your heart", can be rephrased without changing the concept to,"I make a commitment to Jesus with everything with-in me". I am the one who has to open my eyes and look to see God.
    There is a light bulb in my town that has been continuously lit for more than a 105 years.  I drive past the fire station where it glows at least once a week.  I know it's there.  I can go to the back door of the fire station, ring the bell, then a fireman will invite me in if they aren't busy. The light bulb is always where I can find it, but I am the one who must go look.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Christians don't have a good dictionary. I could lend them mine.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image86
        tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mine is a two volume Oxford Dictionary. That I enjoy reading.