jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

I believe in god but I prefer the company of atheists

1. Dannytaylor02 profile image84
    Dannytaylor02posted 4 years ago

People who believe in god in general are so intense about their beliefs that it's hard to get on with them also they seem to be constantly on the defensive about their beliefs, I think it's because most are not aware of what their beliefs actually are so they struggle to answer simple question but I don't know why exactly.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe you need to broaden your selection ,of Christians wink

I have found personalities of both groups to be somewhat intense, and even combative at times.

Nothing is more annoying than arrogance from either group imo smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image82
      pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Getting on with people or accepting people as they are is never hard unless we ourselves make it hard. If it is hard we have put in place conditions that only we know about. If we are not aware of these conditions we put in place we need to go looking.

2. Dannytaylor02 profile image84

I just wish they were more concise in what they believe and that's why I like atheists because even though they are wrong (bracing for abuse) you at least know where you stand with them.

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Eaglekiwi has it right. There's more than one group of believers out there. There's more than one church out there.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You believe in God, but prefer the company of atheists. So you like hanging out with people who think you are an idiot.

Was that directed at me? I'm a confirmed agnostic, so both sides hate me. big_smile

Seriously, although I don't believe in God, I am mostly sympathetic as to believer's intent. They are just trying to figure out the meaning of life. That is a worthy goal. I, for one, have given up on that; I have accepted the fact that I cannot know everything. As for those who keep trying, more power to them. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
          Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not every atheist thinks those who believe are idiots. I don't care what you believe.

3. 0
          Rad Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm an Atheist and I don't think he's an idiot. Most of my friends are Christians and most are much smarter than me. I know what your thinking (is that possible? well yes it it) I just never talk about religion. I've found only the born agains bring up Religion. I no longer have any born again friends.

3. Dannytaylor02 profile image84

Haha Druid that's one way of looking at it yes but the ones I know are not like that in fact in real life None of them are it's only on the Internet you get the angry ones, im aware that there is more than one church but in general I get a similar vibe from them and that is that they are constantly feeling as though they need to defend themselves. My mothers brother is a great example, he is born again but he's one of the creepiest men I've ever met because every time he comes to my house he feels obliged to try to convert me into believing in an eternal hellfire, I point out to him a number of scriptures to explain my point of view for example 'the wages sin pays is death' which to me clearly means that dying is the punishment and then our wages are payed but he persistently shows me that illustration (a word he refuses to understand) of the rich and poor man. Basically I don't like a lot of them because 1: they can't back up their arguments and 2: their arguments tend to slander the god they claim to represent so i can't relate on any level

4. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 4 years ago

..and I dont know who is going to hell and who is destined for heaven,nor is it my biggest concern what a person believes.

Ugh relatives you cannot choose ,but lets face it we all have an 'oddball' we tolerate ( or avoid)..

Truth be known maybe someones avoiding me lol

Eaglekiwi! Not me! big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nor you my friend.smile

See at the end of the day, I can usually always find qualities about a person I enjoy or respect irregardless of their beliefs.

After all, isnt that what we remember most about people- how they made us feel?(or not)

working