jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (26 posts)

God or something else?

1. pennyofheaven profile image81
    pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago

I was responding to the death rant thread and it bought to mind an incident my partner's friend had.

In March of this year Dallas (my partners friend) was going fishing with about 8 other people. He got washed overboard by a rogue wave (his words)  around midnight. He spent and survived 18 hours in the water with nothing more than a plastic petrol can wearing a singlet and shorts. None of the others survived. He defied all odds according to what the experts said. In waters such as the ones he was in, no man should have survived past 6 hours. He did. He was very close to my partner and so I had heard much about the type of man that he was. I got to meet Dallas and his wife about a month after his experience. He shared much more than what was on the news. Both he and his wife had their own beliefs about how he defied all odds.

Here is the news clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pDs9-2-c8

So what do you think helped him to defy the experts odds?

Could it have been God (the christian understanding) that saved him?

Or something else entirely different?

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Peace of mind causes one to create possibilities, thus to that one nothing is impossible...
      Providence is always standing by waiting to provide whatsoever that possibility the mind has created.

pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like that.

2. recommend1 profile image72
      recommend1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find that experts are rarely expert, and calculating odds in that situation is a nonsensical excercise due to the huge number of variables.  I think your friends friend was just the lucky one who came up next to the floating fuel can and the rest the unlucky ones who either did not come up or were not near anything that floated enough to support them.  I would rule out any possibilty of a super being holding him up by his collar until rescue arrived.

I have often wondered whether or not experts are what they say they are? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Their credentials sometimes mean nothing when they cannot seem to perform the most basic tasks.
        There is no doubt about it that he was lucky. There were 3 on deck but he was closest to the rail...(I don't think its called that in seaman terms). His positioning therefore meant he was completely thrown overboard by the wave. Which enabled him to swim back to use the boat as a float before it sank. Lucky too that "Wilson" popped up when it did.

What I marvel about is the body's ability to endure such harsh conditions. Biologically these things are meant to be impossible. This invalidates that we know a lot about the body and it's ability to survive.

3. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If we say God saved him then the next question is why he didn't save the others? This is where popular Christianity completely breaks down. As it says that God is in control of everything it must therefore conclude that it was God's will that everyone else perished. This leads to a set of questions about why God would want the others to die and a whole load of crazy ideas that include judgements on their characters, satan's interference, or that God might have saved them if they believed in him. Christianity can offer nothing helpful here in the search for rhyme or reason. It also makes a complete nonsense of Christians who pray for a parking space at the shops, find one, and thank God that he is interested in every detail of their lives.

It is situations like these where God does not intervene that causes many, myself included, to question either the existence of God or whether or not he in interested in us. Having said that four years ago I swerved to avoid a car pulling out in front of me, throwing my car into a spin into a chain link fence. I came to rest two feet from the edge of a ravine. God or not God I do not know but I am thankful.

What I am forced to conclude is that God chooses not to intervene, the evidence is clear from watching the news. I've heard Christians say that God does not intervene unless Christians pray as God does not force his will on the Earth. This is contradicted by biblical accounts and leads to a works based faith.
      Perhaps God does not intervene as a general rule because we are supposed to make this world a better place by doing the things Jesus did, and in the interim sh!t just happens.

Alternatively God does not exist.

I do not subscribe to intervention in the Christian sense. I do however think there is much more that we including the experts, do not know about our existence, that gives me pause for thought more often than not. If we deem something as impossible we are sometimes presented with the opposite to invalidate our initial thoughts.

Whether God intervenes or not is not as simple as saying God did or did not because of this or that because God is infinite in nature and we can never make an assumption based on something we know little about.

1. jacharless profile image80
          jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to be redundant big_smile
          But, I agree. Should humans be the sum-substance of creation, we can do incredible things in body -as equally incredible in mind. Epinephrine is the turbo boost, of a greater intervention in us. Avatar comes to mind...for some reason. Explains too, why humans consider supermen, etc.

Mind: whats this button do?
          Spirit: push it and see.
          Body: Holy Cricketsssssssss!

James

Never redundant lol

I love the dialogue between mind, spirit, body. Quiet wittingly profound in its simpleness!

4. DoubleScorpion profile image85
      DoubleScorpionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The body can manage some amazing things when we refuse to give up our will to survive.

And the experts, only as good as the information they have...Statisics say the averages and probables....some humans just aren't average and not a probability. smile

Haha yes.

5. daydreamer13 profile image60
      daydreamer13posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe that God gave man the will, ability and instinct to survive. When in a life or death situation, that ability is tapped into instinctually and seems miraculous. Glad to hear your friend survived. Good hub!

Yes indeed. We perhaps limit ourselves more than we should. Examples like Dallas's incident demonstrates these limits can be overcome or are not necessarily as true as we might think.

6. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The question being begged here is why did the others not survive and why would God save only one of them?

Again, this type of story reminds me of the one in which a middle aged woman is pulled from the rubble days after a disaster with bodies strewn all around the site and the first thing she proclaims is, "Jesus saved me."

Perhaps his will to survive was stronger than the others. No more no less. Deciding whether or not God had a role in the saving would depend on how you understand God. If I remember correctly you don't believe in God of any type so there is little point in discussing why God did or did not save the others.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60

Perhaps, that would be the reasonable and logical conclusion.

No, it doesn't, it has everything to do with whether or not God saves you.

God saving one person out of eight has nothing to do with my beliefs. And, if it did hinge on my beliefs, then it's obvious it is just a belief.

It had nothing to do with his either.

Then, the OP is all about your beliefs?

And what beliefs might you be referring to? Assuming you know what my beliefs are?

"Could it have been God (the christian understanding) that saved him?"

No. Try again if you like?

7. twosheds1 profile image62
      twosheds1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

As a faithful fan of Survivorman Les Stround, the will to live is often what keeps some alive and others less so. But there is also the element of chance. Conditions for your friend might have been a bit different than the others. It could have been a god that saved him, but is there any evidence of it? Was he more religious than the others?

He was not at all religious. His wife seems to incline toward a higher power of sorts.  Yes he believes he was lucky. He was in a position on the boat that completely threw him from the deck  away from the boat before it capsized. This enabled him to swim back to the boat to use it as a float until it finally sunk. He attributed his survival though mainly to staying calm throughout the ordeal. His will to live kept him calm.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

A very lucky guy. I don't subscribe to a belief in the fickle finger of God killing some and saving others. However, I do believe that a will to survive can surmount impossible odds.

Will to survive is a force in itself it seems.

3. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image56
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 4 years ago

I have strong faith in the Lord. So many times when I have specially prayed for strength or help I have received an answer and things have become better. The Bible is my reference book and I let the Lord guide me each day.

working