jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Forgiveness or Vengeance

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

If a person commits a trangression against you, are you more likely to forgive him/her or do you seek revenge aginst him/her?  Why?  Why not?

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
      pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Forgive. We are all perfect in our imperfect ways.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would want to understand the transgression and seek compensation if necessary.

Revenge and forgiveness are outdated concepts.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Quite the new age philosopher!  Excellent premise!

3. 0
      Elizabeth Dorssomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For me, it would depend what the transgression was. I believe some things are simply unforgiveable (like committing a crime against someone). However, if someone called you a name or berated you, then apologized, I might consider forgiving them. That being said, if the person asks for forgiveness and then repeats the behavior, I would rescind the act of forgiveness. Even if you do not forgive someone it does not mean you have to act vengeful towards him or her. Just cut off all ties and never speak to the person again.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

I tend to want to figure out why they did what they did. I want first and foremost to keep people out of my life who do things that harm me (transgress). Revenge does not usually suit this outcome, seeking revenge keeps the person I don't want in my life, in my life. Not very sensible. If I can understand I can forgive, I can also work to establish boundaries that will prevent the same sort of transgression to happen again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I can forgive but I don't easily forget.

Totally agree.   Revenge often has a double edged sword.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not to mention, it can leave you feeling like sh*t.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Revenge. I was considering forgiveness for a short time till they did something unforgiveable.

4. Paul K Francis profile image81
    Paul K Francisposted 4 years ago

You are more likely to feel good about forgivness than revenge, and it may have a positive effect on the transgressor, enabling him to see the error of his ways, maybe!

5. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

I think the answer to this question strongly relys on what that person specifically DID... but me, I'm more prone to forgiveness. Probably more than I should.

If someone shot me with a rubber band, I'd probably shoot back.

If someone lied to me about where they were, I would probably seek an understanding.

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Holding onto their negative sh#t only makes me sick. I know that intellectually.
    I know very well that forgiveness is essential to my own sanity and well-being.
    However, in the case of someone who transgressed against me who is still out there transgressing against MANY others, I'm  seeking vindication. 
    I may not get it. But at least I'm trying.
    But with or without the good feeling of stopping her from hurting others, I'm still left, on a personal level, with getting to forgiveness.
    It's not easy!

Thank MM for your illustrious and right on response!   It is greatly appreciated!   Now I am off and back to watch my murder mysteries!

7. AshtonFirefly profile image82
    AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago

Forgiveness, not Revenge.
    I do, however, believe in justice. I can forgive someone and still hold then accountable for their actions.
    For example, if some guy rapes me, I will get him put in jail. But I will forgive him for my own sake. I don't forgive for other people's benefit, I forgive for mine; because holding a grudge never hurt anyone except yourself.

8. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

I don't feel the need to forgive if I don't want to.  I don't give out forgiveness like it's candy.  Sometimes, it is best to accept what has happened before moving on.  Vengeance?  No.  It's not my style.