Nyctophobia of Theos

1. jacharless profile image82
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

According to the Left Theos, ninety-eight percent (98%) of the Universe is defined as unseen, dark, unknown. According to the Right Theos, ninety-eight percent of people live in darkness and that they must do battle with darkness, endlessly it seems. Dark matter, dark thoughts, dark arts, even things like shadows, ghosts, demonic activity and beyond.

So, it opens a series of questions about this phobia (?), the origin of, effect of and the end result of it. In your perspective, what is the human obsession with Nyctophobia and the components of it, from either side?

1. 0
      Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like the way you put that. It makes it sound as if the human psyche if a reflection of the universe. Which sent my mind off on a tangent.

I think it all has to do with the fear of not being in control. Which causes us to make theories and form beliefs around them.  To create the illusion of control. I would think, the end result is that we get in the way of finding answers by the act of creating that safe haven our fear drove us to create.

2. jonnycomelately profile image86
    jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago

We humans are not the only ones afraid of the dark.   Any animal which relies upon the visible portion of the EMR spectrum as we do, will be fazed by the darkness because it feels vulnerable to predation.  When we are "out of our element,"  the instinctive reaction of fear sets in.

Nocturnal animals do not depend on the same spectral sensitivities so the darkness is in fact their habitat.  They are happy there and would be more concerned with being off their usual beaten track.

Any environment which is unfamiliar will produce the same reactions. 

We are nothing but a species of animal, with inbuilt defense mechanisms.